Norman Hartnell 1938

That was great! Thank you for posting it. It's so interesting to see fashions that seem so much more recent than what we think of as typical of the late '30's. So many of the looks were examples of "timeless elegance!"

Hi,

A huge thank you for sharing this with us. Wow. I love it all, and would definitely wear that cinnamon brown slinky evening gown with the low back. And those beaded coats....Drool....

1938 had England on the brink of War, so perhaps this collection never got produced or was done on a small scale?? Although I think that he showed a collection in Paris during the war? Some of the styles (or similar) do show up later in the 40's....very interesting. Fashion forward!

I especially appreciated seeing the hats. At first glance they look very much like the post WWII "New Look" hats of 1947-1952. They could have fooled even me on the date (at least from the photos). Again, War limitations probably kept them from being made or sold too much, but in 1947 you see them back with a vengeance. Quite a treat for me for me on those hats!

I love the all black outfit with the black rhinestone hat...it almost looks right of of the New Look Era with the full skirt and tiny waist...interesting.

This was great, and thanks for sharing.

Barbara

Gorgeous - thanks for posting! And it being in color is just sooo great! I am always amazed at 30s evening dresses - they're so "modern". Some of them are actually quite daring. I recently bought a few 1934 fashion magazines, and while everything in there was just so elegant, the evening wear was the most amazing :headbang:.

Karin

I watched this a second time.

now if I just could order one of those dresses still, I would be so happy.

Hollis

Back