"Patina on suede gloves and boater hats? Yeah, or nay?

BertieWooster

Registered Guest
I purchased these gloves from Saks in the 80's and the hat at Brasenose College in the 90's. Neither had ever been cleaned. I see someone said to leave them as is and would like to get a consensus. TIA.

Attachments

• edited_PXL_20241022_165728713.NIGHT.jpg
    edited_PXL_20241022_165728713.NIGHT.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 18
Can we see the hat? I personally would wash the gloves using glove soap and luke warm water, put them and wash your hands with the gloves on. Use a glove form or gently stuff them as they dry, and every so often put them on to help keep down any shrinkage. I do it with my leather gloves all the time. BUT I cannot guarantee results so do what you think is best.

I think it depends on how you see yourself and your personal vintage wardrobe.

There are folks who feel strongly about everything in their wardrobe being pristine and perfect. I had a female relative whose white Keds were always blindingly bright and clean. She stepped an a banana slug while visiting us in Oregon one year, and... it didn't go well for either of them.

Others like the lived in look that says they are comfortable in their skin, and in their clothing. The high quality item that is clearly loved and has been worn, and worn well.

My bias is toward embracing wonderful things that have had a previous life and show it.

Back