Pendleton Vintage Hoard Dating Help + Labels for Resource

GemGem

Registered Guest
Hi lovely formers & experts!

I was lucky enough to but a huge lot of vintage Pendleton Jackets & shirts.

Most are likely to be 80’s with quite a few 70’s and some poss 50’s-60’s and 90’s.

There’s a few women th labels that are not yet in the label resource and I was hoping we could get some accurate dating to add those labels. Plus I just LOVE building my knowledge with you formers & amazing experts.

I have five 5️⃣ have taken pics of. I’ll start with one. Not sure if I should create a new thread for each or include several in this one?

I originally thought 80’s for this jacket due to the shape and label but the fabric looks 70’s? There is wadding rather than foam in the shoulders and the care label looks 70’s to me.
What do you guys think?

IMG_0684.jpeg
IMG_0685.jpeg
IMG_0687.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg
IMG_0689.jpeg
IMG_0691.jpeg

Last edited:
Pendleton is sometimes a bit difficult to date; the construction techniques can be better than the era, and the style can be more classic, less fashion-forward. I would say this looks like a 1980s cut. The label I believe is the same as one blurry label we have "from a mid 1980s suit". If we can get a consensus as to the date, I'm sure we would want to use the label for our Resource.

What's a bunch of Pendleton doing in the UK? :)

Pendleton is sometimes a bit difficult to date; the construction techniques can be better than the era, and the style can be more classic, less fashion-forward. I would say this looks like a 1980s cut. The label I believe is the same as one blurry label we have "from a mid 1980s suit". If we can get a consensus as to the date, I'm sure we would want to use the label for our Resource.

hii

it’s so interesting right because my thinking is that it didn’t just hit 1st Jan 1980 and all of a sudden every fashion house & manufacturer stopped using wadding and swapped for foam shoulder pads just like magic.

there has to be crossover and also some manufacturers who mix it up or prefer the old style wadding.

I also think it looks like an 80’s cut. The wool looks 70’s too though, it’s the feel of it and the backing to it. And the dry clean label too. Maybe it’s very early 80’s or cusp? Also to note is that it’s a large size and ai don’t have a dress form for it so it’s harder to get the actual fitted shape. It’s not straight enough or slim enough for me to think classic 70’s or even 90’s and not short enough or boxy enough for 60’s, haha

They are in the uk through a wholesaler I found online but I think it’s shipped from China ‍♀️ I’ve never seen more than one or two together here before and I have over 40 of them!!!

shall I post some others in this thread or start a new one?
-sorry for the long message

Posting in the same thread seems fine to me!
Thanks Maggie, insightful as ever!

I read your blog on Pendleton, which was a fab read, and saw your impressive back catalogue of Pendleton wear!

here’s the next Pendleton item. I believe it’s a board shirt but don’t know which check pattern it is.

it looks to me like a classic 70’s fit & style. Its all a bit off centre so I will steam it to get the shape right again.

IMG_0693.jpeg
IMG_0695.jpeg
IMG_0694.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0700.jpeg

It is a men's jacket, as the blue label Pendletons all are. Super classic Pendleton shirt. These really didn't stray much from their original formula for years.

2b5ca5961308b730c6e5f35285704896.jpg

il_1588xN.5159443524_2xy7.jpg

The wool you have is a plaid, not an official tartan.

Jackets 3,4 & 5

Jacket 3 I think is 90’s. Sadly the zip is broken. I’m not sure we have this particular label in the label resource

Jacket 4 I believe is 80’s. There’s a nice clear image of the label. I think it’s tweed? It’s another Jacket that to me the fabric & contrusction looks more 70’s?

Jacket 5 I think is 70’s.

Any insights super welcome.

IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0703.jpeg
IMG_0704.jpeg
IMG_0705.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0703.jpeg
IMG_0704.jpeg
IMG_0705.jpeg
IMG_0710.jpeg
IMG_0711.jpeg
IMG_0712.jpeg
IMG_0714.jpeg
IMG_0715.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0703.jpeg
IMG_0704.jpeg
IMG_0705.jpeg
IMG_0710.jpeg
IMG_0711.jpeg
IMG_0712.jpeg
IMG_0714.jpeg
IMG_0715.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_0706.jpeg
IMG_0707.jpeg
IMG_0708.jpeg
IMG_0709.jpeg

I agree that the zippered jacket looks like 90s, and the purplish petite size jacket has the same label as one in our resource that is mid-80s. The gray could be 70s. The M) of Pendleton in the 70s and 80s had to be fairly timeless, quality construction and conservative style.

It is a men's jacket, as the blue label Pendletons all are. Super classic Pendleton shirt. These really didn't stray much from their original formula for years.

The wool you have is a plaid, not an official tartan.

oh it’s super helpful to know all the blue labels are for menswear!

is there a specific colour for womenswear?

I agree that the zippered jacket looks like 90s, and the purplish petite size jacket has the same label as one in our resource that is mid-80s. The gray could be 70s. The M) of Pendleton in the 70s and 80s had to be fairly timeless, quality construction and conservative style.
Oooohhh, what’s the ‘M)’ of Pendleton? Manufacturing?

Back