please help with dating (40's?) dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kadavv, Jul 31, 2024.

1. kadavv

kadavv Registered Guest

Hello! what do you think about this dress? Do you think it could be from the 1940s? It looks like someone might have shortened it. The fabric appears to be rayon. It has a side metal zipper at the waist. Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Might it have been homemade? I see a lot of hand stitching. Sometimes that skews the date, such as a person making a style with a pattern she'd had for years. I have seen dresses with similar details and cut dating from the 50s and 60s although the style hearkens back to the 40s.

I love the sleeves, that little bit of lace, the covered buttons...nice find!

kadavv likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That a sweet dress. I think it may be the original length. I say this because it appears to be what we used to call a "short waisted" dress. Usually made for heavy set or chunky woman or short women (or both).

kadavv likes this.
  4. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Agreed, it does look similar to a vintage "half-size" dress. They were designed to fit better for a petite/short-waisted person with a larger build. Of course, it could have been made from a half-size pattern, or custom made to fit someone in that size range.

kadavv likes this.
  5. kadavv

kadavv Registered Guest

Yes, I think it was homemade. I also noticed the interesting sleeves :) Thank you for your insights! < 3

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I think it was dyed. Maybe someone needed a black dress?