Polish Custom Vintage Blazer

readtobreathe

Registered Guest
IMG_3092.png
IMG_2901.jpeg
IMG_3092.png

Here’s the insights I have
Here's a comprehensive summary of all the clues and insights gathered about the suit's potential origin and characteristics, combining the original details and all subsequent observations:
Overall Style and Construction:
* Double-breasted blazer in a light tan or beige color.
* Peak lapels with medium width and a natural roll.
* Structured, padded shoulders with clean seams.
* Welt pocket on the left chest.
* Fully lined sleeves with gathering at the cuffs and functional buttonholes, potentially hand-stitched.
* Smooth, satin-like lining with piped or French seams.
* Hand-stitched under-collar lining using a contrasting fabric.
* High-quality horn buttons in a classic four-hole design.
* Gold buttons featuring the British coat of arms.
Labels and Markings:
* Tag: "Made in Poland Dry Clean Only"
* Hidden label: "80" (likely chest size in cm)
* Fabric label: "100% PURE NEW WOOL" in English, Italian, and French
* Hidden label: "R-35" (likely regular fit and 35-inch sleeve length)
* Partially obscured woven label with gold thread on a black background
Clues and Insights:
* High-Quality Materials & Craftsmanship: The use of 100% pure new wool, natural horn buttons, hand-stitching, and meticulous seam finishes all point towards a well-made, high-quality garment.
* Formal and Classic Style: The peak lapels, structured shoulders, welt pocket, and functional buttonholes suggest a formal and traditional tailoring style.
* Polish Origin: The "Made in Poland" label confirms the suit's origin.
* International Appeal: The multilingual fabric label and the use of British coat of arms buttons indicate the maker was targeting a broader market beyond just Poland, possibly appealing to those who appreciate British aesthetics or classic European tailoring.
* Potential Time Period: The style and construction details suggest the suit might be from the mid-20th century when peak lapels and structured shoulders were popular.
* Potential Maker: It's likely from a Polish brand or tailor known for quality craftsmanship and classic styles, potentially one with an international presence or aiming to appeal to a wider European market.
Further Research Suggestions:
* Continue image searches using the new details (e.g., "horn buttons peak lapel suit," "Polish tailored suits 1950s").
* Focus research on Polish suit makers from the mid-20th century, especially those known for exporting or using high-quality materials.
* Consult vintage clothing experts or tailors familiar with European tailoring traditions.
* Try to decipher any visible text or symbols on the partially obscured label.
Remember, every detail you observe adds to the overall picture, bringing you closer to unraveling the mystery behind your unique and well-crafted suit!

IMG_3069.png
IMG_3068.png

Just to add a couple things...
It was made to be sold in an English-speaking country, since "Made in Poland" and "dry clean only" are written in English
It is no older than 1964 due to the Woolmark label, and probably a couple decades newer than that. I believe the fall of communism in Poland was 1989 and Polish goods export to the west picked up at that time. (My history knowledge is minimal!)

Also wanted to add that it's not that unusual for me to find vintage-ish men's suits/jackets Made in Poland in my local Midwest American thrift stores, and they are generally nicely-crafted. When new, they were sold in local ready-to-wear department stores. Perhaps try finding out just when Poland began exporting goods such as this. I think it's unlikely you'll find a specific tailor made it, more likely that it was "factory" made for export.
The buttons, which appear brass or "gold-tone" are meant to evoke British-ness but are not anything "official". A google lens search turns up lots that are similar. Actual military ones are more finely cast.

Last edited:
Back