1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Princess Diana's Black Sheep Sweater Sells for Over $1 Million

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Ranch Queen Vintage, Sep 15, 2023.

1. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Article about it selling in Sotheby's auction for over $1 million!
    Nice interview with the women who created the sweater.

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Yikes. Hard to believe. Who has that kind of money to spend?
    istockphoto-636038764-640x640.jpg

3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

I can make anyone who wants one a replica for 1.1 million :D

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

and me.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Sigh, Time describe it as Intarsia knit.

But this photo showing the reverse at the neck, shows it's stranded knitting, not intarsia. I mean, it may be a combination, the black sheep, may have been intarsia/stranded combined, and I'm wondering how they did the black eye on each sheep, but stranded is the main technique here.
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 12.49.13.png

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 12.49.20.png

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Every sweater had a black sheep - but it moved around. I know two people who have this sweater, but one has the black sheep on the arm, and the other one is on the left breast.

7. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Yes! I hadn't realized that previously, but at the beginning of the video (in the article) three different colors of this sweater are shown and you can see the varied placement.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I had read somewhere (but don't remember where) that they retired the black sheep from the location on Diana's sweater.

9. What I love about this story is that the damaged jumper - showing evidence of wear and use - is likely worth more than the replacement, presumably undamaged one. Good thing the designer kept it all these years!

Nicole

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  10. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member