Savita

Lucy Jenner-Brown

Registered Guest
Does anyone have any information about a British clothing label called Savita? I am researching the remaining dress collection of an artist, who had many pieces of Savita including Indian inspired silk dress coats and a sari-style dress. I also know where they were based from archive letters but cannot find out any information about the company. If anyone has come across this brand before, I would love to know more information. The period would be late 1960's - early 70's . Thanks
Hepworth-36.jpg

Hi Lucy, I have been searching high and low for any information to give you. I finally came across another Savita piece in Etsy's sols listings. There is some good information there- Credit to the shop owner 'LizFarrellyFinds". They say- "Amazing vintage garment from the legendary London label, Savita, which introduced Asian and African fabrics and garments to Swinging London, right on cue for the psychedelic trend."
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1073417246

1729218376982.png

THANKS so much for this - there is some great info on there. I have contacted the seller to see if they have anymore info and to ask about their sources so huge thanks
I'm glad I could help; I love a good fashion mystery! If you find out anything else, I would love to hear it.

From a 1965 article: " For a touch of the East there is Savita, in Lowndes Street, which sell Indian brocade and sari fabric tunic tops, narrow silk tapered trousers, and delicate voile embroideries."

...and from a 1967 article/ad: "...from Savita, 2 Lowndes Lodge, Cadogan Place, SWI...who have recently opened a boutique in Geneva... and the caftans and robes that Savita make so exquisitely in lndian silks and brocades, and their simple silk pyjama suits, are among some of the most beautiful late-day clothes to be found anywhere in this country."

From a 1968 article: "...Savita, that ravishing little shop in Lowndes Street, never fails to produce its particular brand of leggy elegance from the east, because it sells. All these clothes share one thing in common-they are expensive; but they are designed essentially for women with leisure in their lives, who do not expect to put their clothes in the coin-operated dry cleaners every week or toss them in a washing machine. Talented cut, beautiful fabrics and expert workmanship are here combined together to make these rare and luxurious garments into truly beautiful creations, to be worn by feminine women who love beautiful things."

And, finally, I guess, from an early 1972 article: "Looking back a few years, I can remember... Savita in Lowndes Street carried on a pretty avant garde trade in fine Indian silks, selling saris and elegant trouser suits to fashionable women at high prices. It was about the only place, apart from the timeless Oriental Department in Liberty's, where you could get a bit of eastern glamour for the wardrobe. Today, it is a very different story, and almost anywhere in the country you can find shops that sell Afghan coats, Indian dresses and Berber bracelets..."

Last edited:
That is amazing Lynne - thanks so much. Were these all from Country Life? This is really going to help my research. The artist I am researching is Barbara Hepworth and she loved Savita's Indian silk jackets. The embroidery on the pieces I have seen is so beautiful and it is all so well made

The lovely Liz Eggleston has quite a number of vintage magazine scans on her website, worth searching it for ‘Savita’ as quite a few results pop up, which I assume are the same Savita boutique and gives you an idea of cost etc. as well as various designs and dates.

How interesting that you’re researching Barbara Hepworth’s wardrobe - what an insight! :)

Back