Shaheen Oriana?

AdvantageInVintage

Registered Guest
Hello,

After some assistance on a Shaheen dress I have the selvedge is printed as follows
"A Shaheen of Honolulu Screen print by Oriana"

Who/ What was Oriana? I've searched and searched the internet to no avail
As an aside, pic of the dress and selvedge alongside this post : )

Liz

Attachments

• IMG_9844.JPG
    IMG_9844.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_9855.jpg
    IMG_9855.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 346
If it is Oriana a British brand that could make sense as I am in the UK.
The dress does not have a Shaheen label no, it is Shaheen fabric. It is definitely 1950s construction however and to a very high standard±

Exactly Mel!!!! Hmmm very interesting. I was never aware of Shaheen *potentially* being produced in the UK!
The only other example I could find of a Shaheen Oriana fabric was a skirt by Rumonte- a brand I know was British

shaheen, like 99.9% of the hawaiian designers of yore, focused on the prints on their garments, not construction, which was mediocre ready to wear level. there was one whose construction was amazing, but is not at all well known, and her name escapes me.

shaheen was one of if not the best of hawaiian textile printmakers.

your dress is made of shaheen fabric, but is not a shaheen design/dress.

I recently found a dress with the same print in the selvedge. It means than that the dress is not a Shaheen dress, just made of a Shaheen style fabric? (It is still beautiful though.)

Thank you! I love vintage dresses and finding out more about their history. So the company, Oriana had a license to produce the fabric, and than they distributed to different companies around the UK, do you think it is so?

Back