Shirley Temple Angora Cardigan

Helen Siwak

Registered Guest
Just received this piece in with no tags. I find it interesting as it is in pristine condition. The beads are incorporated into the knit of the angora, not sewn on. Any thoughts on dating this piece?
20151009_194809.jpg 20151009_194848.jpg 20151009_194852.jpg
20151009_194726.jpg
20151009_194848.jpg 20151009_194745.jpg 20151009_194848.jpg

Hi Helen - what an impressive technique! Wonder if it was done on the machine? Can you read the writing? It looks like it's back to front.

These cardigans are generally '50s or '60s but if you can tell us where the waist sits, what shape it is and/or the proportions measurements it will help. From what I can tell, yours is likely to be '50s but I wrote a blog post about beaded cardigans a while ago, and how to tell the difference: here's what I noted:

1950s beaded cardigans
– tend to have more shape (difference in size between the bust and waist)
– sit on the waist rather than the hips.
– sleeves are more likely to be shorter too: bracelet or three quarter length, to show off gloves and bracelets.
– colours and designs show more variation, with soft pastel shades popular.
– usually just the body is lined, but not the sleeves.

1960s beaded cardigans
– are boxier in shape (less difference between the bust and waist)
– sit on the hips rather than the waist.
– sleeves are long, to the wrist.
– colours and designs are more standardised: instead of pastels they tend to come in cream or black.
– fully lined with the sleeves and body.

Hi Nicole,

This sweater is 50/50 of the points that you indicated:

– sit on the waist rather than the hips.
– are boxier in shape (less difference between the bust and waist)
– sleeves are long, to the wrist.
– colours and designs are more standardised: instead of pastels they tend to come in cream or black.

It is a Bordeaux colour and the button attachments are metal not plastic or thread.

Helen

Back