Shorn fur

Thank you. I have shorn beaver , mink, sable and lynx in my wardrobe. This fur that I found is almost wet feeling. Like a wet dog. And it’s cool to the touch. Very glossy but shirt fibers. Mahogany color, vintage. Could it be weasel? From 1930 ish

Thank you. I have shorn beaver , mink, sable and lynx in my wardrobe. This fur that I found is almost wet feeling. Like a wet dog. And it’s cool to the touch. Very glossy but shirt fibers. Mahogany color, vintage. Could it be weasel? From 1930 ish
Please post a picture if you can

IMG_8832.jpeg

Now that I look at the photo I’m not sure it’s mink. Can you tell? It looks old but but so sure it’s healthy specimen

Hi there, Your photo is clear and close up so I can see that the fur is not sheared. In order to determine the fur type can you please show us a photo of the front of the garment and the back? :)

The last two shots are of another clients furs. It’s a stroller length and she’s thinking rabbit since her mom gave to her in 1950s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 19
Thank you for the additional photos. As Mary Jane stated the first is squirrel fur and it looks like it's resting over a dark ranch mink fur coat. The Fur label authority label dates the cape post 1956, and it looks like it dates to the 60s. The dark ranch mink coat looks like it dates to the 80s. The last photo appears to show the sleeves of two furs. The lighter colored sleeve looks like mink and the second sleeve looks possum.

Last edited:
Opossum? I’m getting a lesson today
Yes on the dark ranch mink coat
Yes on first sleeve is mink. It’s the chevron sleeve that you’ve led me in a new direction.
Thank you most kindly
What does the color autumn haze look like?

Question: if you take faux fur and real fur, burn them in a dish, what reaction can I expect? I’ve lost my sense of smell so gotta have another guide

I know that guard hairs are part of fur bearing animals. In the alpaca we try to breed out the coarseness of the guard hair. Guard hair disqualifies a fiber show winner.
There is a marked difference in alpaca fiber and its guard hair. The micron we breed for is 20 or less. Guard hours are 30 + and make product itchy to the skin like wool
Is the guard hair on a mink significantly higher in micron than the base fiber?

Possums and opossums are two different animals.

Here’s a little info about possum fur as well as a photo of possum, and a link to the section of our fur resource where you can see the detail I’ve shared here about possum.

Australian Ringtail Possum: Found in Eastern Coastal Australia, New Guinea and Tasmania. Named for the curve at the end of its tail. They are the size of a house cat and generally gray brown beige on the belly with a white patch behind the ears.

Here’s some information about opossum as well as a photo, and link to opossum in our fur resource. Yours is not opossum.

The opossum is from North America and Central America, and is is often confused with its cousin the possum which is from Australia and also now inhabits New Zealand. American opossum is considered a pest by many as it lives in grassy lands, is often found hunting in urban waste bins, commonly crosses the road at the wrong time, and winds up being roadkill after being hit by vehicles.

Autumn Haze mink is a lighter brown shade of mutation mink created by Emba; a mink breeder’s association that came about in 1942.

Genuine fur burns and smells like hair, turns to fine ash, and dissipates.
Synthetic fur burns more slowly and melts.

With regards to microns; a micrometer tool may be used to determine the diameter, or density of fur fibers per square inch. The guard hair of mink and the underfur has far less density.

The cuffs you showed a photo of is sheep. The brown fur that looks like it may be a hat is sable. The center of the white hat that is slightly peppered is blue fox and what looks like it may be the rim of the hat looks like it’s mink.

Last edited:
I’m indebted to your kind information. My mother lived her furs. I have been fortunate to have a variety if my own. The reason I gave some other items that my known us limited is that they belonged to my friends. We live in a retirement community after we sold our alpaca breeding farm. We decide to make a donation collection of furs no longer needed for our foundation . I’m up to thirty jackets, stroller, coats, capes and stoles.
Some are labeled with the house that sold them. Many do not have a label. Your input is most useful in creating a provenance for each garment.
Thank you sgsin

Possum?

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8843.jpeg
    IMG_8843.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8842.jpeg
    IMG_8842.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8841.jpeg
    IMG_8841.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8840.jpeg
    IMG_8840.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8839.jpeg
    IMG_8839.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 7
These are photos of a coat that was purchased 1920-1930? It’s very dense possibly a shorn technique? No labels except Samuel Silver Montreal what animal is this please?

Attachments

• IMG_8851.jpeg
    IMG_8851.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8849.jpeg
    IMG_8849.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8848.jpeg
    IMG_8848.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8847.jpeg
    IMG_8847.jpeg