sorry here is a pic of the hat I need help with

wilmamae

Registered Guest
sorry about the last post. I forgot to add the picture. If you can help me identify the style of this hat that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think its late 40s - early 50s, but its difficult to be sure from just the one shot. Also, I think you have it on backwards. I would expect the trim to be on the top front of the hat.

Oh I forget to add pictures all the time, no worries!
I wish I could help you a bit more! I just took a look in my research books to see if I could find a "technical" name for this style but came up with nothing..
This is a VERY lovely hat though! AND green, this season's black! It is so graceful and would love to hear others word upon what to call it...
Would you date it as the early 1950's? I can see this on a raven haired woman with one of those new early 50's chic short haircuts with the curls about the face and a smart black suit with kelly green accents, maybe green alligator heels :)
Michelle

Here is a neat site with a hat dictionary.

Since it fits close to the head it might be a Cloche style hat. Here is the definition:

<i><b>a close-fitting round crown, no brim or small flare at the brim edge .</i></b>

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it is on backwards! Thanks for pointing that out. i'm not sure it is a cloche hat as I have other cloche hats and they tend to foit closer to the head.

What is the url of the hat site dictionary?

Thanks! I've also added another picture

Hi there - we've spoken by email - it's Anne.

The URL to the hat directory is there - Linda (vintageclothes-line) put it in as a link and you just click the Here word that's in blue.

But this is the URL

http://www.hatshapers.com/Hat Dictionary.htm

To put in a link you look above the box in which you are typing your reply and find the globe pic with sunglasses, which is 5th from the left. Click on it and a box comes up - type in your name for the link i.e. here or hat directory or whatever, then click ok. Then another box comes up and you paste the url addy into it. Then click ok again. And that's all there is to it :)

Yes, WilmaMae . . . it's on backwards.
These were common here about '53, '54 and it's worn closeer in the back of the head (usually secured by a hat-pin).
The convoluted, decorated brim frames the face and has a bit of a "bonnet brim" effect.
I don't know if there's any particular name for this style, so I'm no help there.
C

I didn't have a chance to say "welcome"...so "welcome!"

I forget sometimes when i see a hat, that sometimes they sit further back or perched a different way than one might wear it today to accomodate or compliment the more elaborate 'dos of the day (or vice versa).

Chris

Back