Swatch Book - late 1800s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Nov 2, 2023.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Nicole Jenkins posted this Japanese indigo dye swatch book on Facebook and I thought it was lovely.

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 8.32.37 AM.png

I started to describe how these "rice resist" patterns are made, but I really don't know for sure ... if someone else wants to jump in. Nor do I know the source of this image.

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Count me in as a big fan of Japanese indigo prints and boro. That is a terrific swatch book to have.

3. Hi Amanda, thank you for sharing: I can tell you more about it.

I posted it to Instagram which shared it to FB - you can see the original post here. I took the photo at the exhibition.

It's on display at a current exhibition in Oxford, UK at the Ashmolean museum, called 'Colour Revolution' (details here).

I'm currently in Paris and was so excited about the exhibition that I detoured to London and Oxford to see it, on the way. They have a lot of Victorian colour and fabric swatches on display: I should have taken pics of them all but will get the book instead.

Here's another, from the link above:
    [​IMG]

The particular Japanese swatches I shared are stencilled prints using indigo dyes. Customers would flick through the swatch books to pick out patterns for their custom kimonos.

I hope that helps. If you want the catalogue, here it is: [​IMG]

Nicole

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

@Circa Vintage Clothing I am going to be in Paris in a week (stopping over on the way to Belgium by train). How long are you there? I'm going to see the sports fashion exhibition at Musée des Arts Decoratifs.

5. Tres bien! I'm here until November 29th and super keen to see the sportswear exhibition. Please get in touch! It would be lovely to see you again, in Europe this time.

Nicole

Midge likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Merci!

8. ThomTheMostProven

ThomTheMostProven Registered Guest

What is this? It looks absolutely incredible! Must be an expensive item! :puzzled:

9. ThomTheMostProven

ThomTheMostProven Registered Guest

At first the picture didn’t load and I didn’t understand what they were talking about! Just wow! Now I see!