Taking care of lucite handbags

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cozmicstar, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

I've finally managed to get my hands on a lucite confetti clear handbag which I have been coveting for a while. I've done a web search but I'm coming up mostly blank with advice on how to care for it. I know what I'm like with delicate things and I want to do justice to the bag and it's age. Is there anything special or particular to ensure it doesn't get trashed with use? I fear it'll be as fragile as glass or is it a little more robust?! Thanks!

2. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Lucite is a trade name for a acrylic plastic owned by Lucite International, in the UK there more common trade name is Perspex I think that is or was ICI tradname
    it's more famous use for WW2 plane cockpits.
    They describe it as shatter proof glass, however it's brittle in reality, cleaning can be done with something like Brasso Metal Polish, this has to be washed off with water or you get white residue when dry left on it ,
    generally most house hold products will be OK on it, Morrison cream cleaners is OK.
    KEEP IT AWAY FROM Bostick as that the adhesive which is used to join it by meting some of the surface.
    also as it a thermoplastic keep it away from high temparature , normal room temperatures is OK
    if there is some big scratches jewellers rouge can be used to polish them out and can be applied with a cloth.

3. cozmicstar

Thanks, I'm pretty sure the lack of response to this thread means I'm probably worrying unnecessarily! Which is a good answer!

4. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

One suggestion. When you clean it do not use paper towels or napkins, they will scratch the surface. Instead use a soft all cotton cloth. I use Windex on my Lucite, never had a problem.
    Melody

5. cozmicstar

Brilliant thanks Melody.