This Locke & Co bowler was my father's' and has his initials are inside the hat, H.P on the inner band. I want to find out what year it was made.

lrpisme

Registered Guest
My dad died and my mom who is 92 just
BLACK BOWLER LABLE.JPG
gave this to me. I know nothing about what year it could be from and am hoping you folks can help me figure that out.
BLACK BOWLER  FRONT.JPG
INSIDE BOWLER.JPG
brooks brothers.JPG

My dad died and my mom who is 92 just gave this to me. I know nothing about what year it could be from and am hoping you folks can help me figure that out.
Thanks

Bowler styles don't change a lot over a very long period of time, so the best way to date it is according to your dad's age. If he was born c. 1930, it probably dates from the 1950s. They weren't being worn much after the early 1960s except by John Steed of the Avengers, although there was an ironic way of wearing them afterwards, but those were usually vintage finds. I wore one occasionally in the early 80s, and mine was a vintage find.

Bowler styles don't change a lot over a very long period of time, so the best way to date it is according to your dad's age. If he was born c. 1930, it probably dates from the 1950s. They weren't being worn much after the early 1960s except by John Steed of the Avengers, although there was an ironic way of wearing them afterwards, but those were usually vintage finds. I wore one occasionally in the early 80s, and mine was a vintage find.
Thanks for the info! He was born in 1927 so that makes sense what you are saying that it must be from the 50s.

As Jonathan has mentioned, the bowler style hat did not change much over the years. The interior can often give some clues. Is the tip of the inside liner covered in thin plastic or thin paper type material? You really will not find that in older hats, I think it started in the late 1950s.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean about " Is the tip of the inside liner covered in thin plastic or thin paper type material?" If you mean the circle of the gold-like color at the top of the inside of the hat where it says Locke & Co it does have something over the silky feeling, material for the rest of the liner. That is super thin if it is plastic. It reminds me of a much thinner version of a clear rain cover for a peaked military hat.

Back