Tooled leather in need of help!

debutanteclothing

VFG Board Member
I have a tooled leather box purse but it isn't rigid like a normal box purse. just in the shape of a box. the lip of the bag was crushed. I've had it sitting, over stuffed with plastic shopping bags to regain it's shape, but it doesn't seems to be working? Is there some kind of leather moistener to help mold it back into shape?

Sandra

hi sandra!
i use hide cream (for saddles really, from an equestrian shop) on leather that's very desperate for moisture. i'm not sure if it would help mold oit completely but a few doses certainly makes things an awful lot more supple. and it's a useful thing to have around for leather bags etc. anyway.:)
maybe some one has something more specific but i hope that helps!

You might want to wipe it with a cloth first to remove any surface dust (you may be surprised even if it looks spotless what is on there). Then, repeat with a hardly barely on ever so slightly damp cloth to pick up any excess things on the surface. The reason for doing this is that many leather conditioners/moisturizers actually as a side effect make surface dirt and dust stick to the surface. There are also leather wipes on the market for furniture.

It really depends on the type of leather what you use and how it is finished. Some split grain hides will feel dry no matter what you do. The softer leathers do well with the Coach leather conditioner. Oil based finishes you would want saddle products. I would always err on the side of "do not harm" or do the gentlest thing or the thing with the least impact first and work your way up.

I just use saddle soap that you can buy at Walmart. Maybe this will moisten it up and you will be able to shape.

Back