Tweed, Fur, Purple, Green, Brooches......

• Thread starter Thread starter bartondoll
  • Start date Start date
B

bartondoll

I've been taking a break from selling for a couple of
weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed myself getting caught up on the current fashion mags.

Several things that really standout as being popular
for Fall is:

1. brooches - they have been in every mag I've looked at so far.

2. Tweed - suits, coats, capes, handbags, dresses, shoes

3. Fur - real and faux. Jackets, shrugs, stoles, coats,
collars, cuffs, trim.

If you have a tweed 'something' with fur and a brooch, you're
laughing!

4. Return to glam ~ as in 40s/50s suits

5. Return to femininity.....dainty, floaty, ethereal dresses

6. Purple, green and royal blue and jewel tones

I know there is more. What have you guys noticed?

Sue

Been taking pictures all day today. I have a brooch, a tweed coat, a faux fur trimmed cape, so I should be all set!!

Well, I think denim is going to be hot. Wear with just about anything. Short jackets, long jackets, satin tops. Capris will still be in worn with boots.

Feminine blouses with bows and high necks.

Fitted suits, like the 40s.

That's all I can think of now. I'm pooped.

...return to "ladylike" glamour

...40s-retro platform shoes

I just acquired a heap of 50s-60s wide fur collars and cuffs with the thought that, come autumn, people might want the handy 'tack' or 'hook' on option for their suits and coats (including me!). Of course, now that I've done it, I'm thinking I made a mistake and should have aimed for long stoles... Boy, will I need serious critter-ID help.

But seriously, it might be a good idea to cast around for runway /mag shoot photos showing the way the collars and stoles are being worn this autumn (where did I see one showing someone with the stole buckled underneat a belt over a suit? It looked cool...), so that we know how to display these on our mannis.

And talking of brooches too, I get the impression that the old costume jewellery put out by boutiques in the 40s & 50s as side-lines to their clothing are very reasonably priced (but may not be by winter?). I want to ask more about this kind of product soon (I was quite pleased with what I got a glam Ceil Chapman costume brooch for not so long ago).

As for the rest of the above suggestions. Right now, I'm dying to find these things for myself, forget about the poor customers... ;)

I love hearing about the latest trends. Sure makes it easier when trying to figure out what to list and what to store for later. Thanks for the thread, Sue.

I currently have a tweed cape up for bid so at least I have one of the areas covered....:) And fur will be listed within the next month!

Gail

I always look at the magazines and try to see what I have in my vintage inventory that is in fashion now.

I find myself so excited to offer something that I find in magazines, that I forget that I need to wear some, too!

Note to self. Try to keep just a little bit for yourself in case you might be asked to go out somewhere other than McDonald's!

Thanks for the links Kevin!

Linda, I want Paul to get our scanner set up again, as there are
several pages that I would rather scan than take pics of. One is
a two page spread on tweed in one of the mags.

Sue

Mixing prints. Plaid jacket over a floral dress and vice versa. patterned tights/pantyhose, lotsa lotsa plastic vintage beads (worn a zillion at a time) the kinda that sell for a buck but people might be actually lookin for em now.

now that blazers are back in style to pair them with jeans, etc...i might be considered in style again : )

Linda, just checked - it is in the special edition of People...the
In STyle Forecast (it is all fashion, not like the regular weekly
People issue)

Sue

I'll be a happy camper this fall. I love tweed, fur, brooches, feminine, flirty dresses, forties suits and forties platform heels. I think someone mentioned this, but capes, ponchos and all sorts of stoles are everywhere. I think the look, vintage wise, is a slight return to the Camelot pre-Carnaby street look. Real ladies. Nice little purses etc. I know I heard someone else say this, so it's not a quote from me, but "it's the ladylike look with irony." I'd grab those cheap brooches while you can. Fortunately, I love brooches (shades of my late mom) and bought a 50 piece lot last year. They have been gathering dust waiting for their glory days to return.
GREAT THREAD
joey

Definately loving this whole return to classic feminine glamour thing going on. Very recently I've been griping with some of my other vintagephile friends about current styles but this makes up for it. Just picked up a nice 1950's/60's cream colored buttondown cape with arm slits, about mid calf length, and I'm looking forward to strutting it on campus this fall - odd looks be danged ;)

So all the stuff that mom says looks 'old' or is 'junk' in my closet is actually fashion forward this fall. Lovin' it!

~Tiff~

I too am really liking all the fashions that are being shown.

The return to feminine glamour and chic and the rich
warm colours and fabrics....wonderful!

Tiff, can you post a pic of your cape? It sounds lovely.

Sue

I just got the big Lucky Fall issue. Can't wait to sit down and make notes!!

Sue, I wouldn't have that special edition of People so please post as soon as your scanner is working!!

Originally posted by bartondoll

Tiff, can you post a pic of your cape? It sounds lovely.

Sue

Happily, Sue, though I'm afraid it doesn't look as nice on the hangar as it does being worn - and yes, I still really need a dress form. ;)

whitecape.jpg

The buttons are plastic mother of pearly type, no labels, but still in excellent wearable shape.

~Tiff~

Bows, Bows and more Bows... on shoes, dresses, blouses & suits!
Peter Som did the fur stole over the shoulder & belted. He's a good one to watch - a lot of vintage influence in his designs. Fox & Mink are the hot furs, but persian lamb is not back in favor yet, although oddly enough goat fur is - who would have thought?
Houndstooth along w/tweed, boucle as always, and leopard everywhere, not unlike bows.

Almost forgot gloves - especially long suede & even some hats, altough I dubious about the hats... do they move for anyone?

Tiff...that cape is yummy - that colour always reminds me of whip cream (now I want a hot chocolate with whip cream!).

Hats? I have never had very good luck with hats, but most of the ones I've had have been from the 50s with no known labels. Gloves are always iffy too, unless in lots.

Sue

Back