Unlabeled McCardell, or just McCardell-like?

denisebrain

VFG Vice President
Staff member
VFG Past President
Yes, another McCardell question (see the other here) for the sleuths among you:

I purchased this dress feeling very strongly that it was by McCardell, and that the label had been snipped out. I'd like your opinion.

It is made of light, fluid, twilled wool flannel, unlined. The bodice is bias cut with a center back seam and hidden hooks and thread loops for closure to the waist in front. Below that are hidden snaps for about 6". The slim-cut sleeves are also on the bias with seams along the outside and inside, and have deep hems. The cuffs point downward along the inner seam. Self-fabric piping edges the large bias-cut collar. The very long cords come from the side seams. I chose to wrap them this way, but obviously they could be fastened up differently. The skirt is full, falling from gathers all around.

PC115931.png PC115932.png PC115929.png

This is what remains of a label. When I looked at that red thread I thought there must be a design that went up to the very corner of the label, but it just brushed off, unattached. I mean, it was a loose thread that might indicate there once was red thread in the label (à la McCardell)...but not necessarily.

P2186473.png

Any thoughts?

Thank you Susan, yes, yours was quite similar...but there are those famous hooks!

Back