1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Identify the age/era of this Aquascutum coat label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blackrussian1105, Mar 9, 2018.

1. blackrussian1105

blackrussian1105 Registered Guest

Hi,

Please someone help identify the age/era of this coat.
    Its an important coat i have gotten from my father and I am trying to find out where he bought it from.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.00.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.01.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.00.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.00.58 PM.png

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Shusteroo likes this.
  3. Yuppy

Yuppy Registered Guest

1930s to 1940s I guess. I side with 40s , though.

Square label and label fabric are typical of 40s .

4. Yuppy

Yuppy Registered Guest

5. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

I would date the coat as 1950s... although it can't be before 1952. The 'HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother' warrant was not awarded until Elizabeth II had become queen.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Yuppy

Yuppy Registered Guest

My 30s Aquascutum coat has a brown label indicate 2 warrants. Also the fabric of label is gauze-like and prints fade away easily which is very 40s. Maybe early 50s, but the line of "Aquascutum of London" denotes 30s-40s in then newspapers and books.

7. Yuppy

Yuppy Registered Guest

This is ~ 30s label.

Attached Files:

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This is an old thread, nearly 6 years, and I doubt the original poster is still looking to have this coat dated.

'Aquascutum of London' appears on labels at least until the 1980s

As @Shusteroo Vintage says, the OPs coat can't be earlier than 1952 because it has the Queen Mother's warrant, which didn't exist before then.

@Yuppy your label is interesting. It has earlier warrants - King George V and Prince of Wales. Does it say 'Late' King George? I don't think I've seen that before. Your label can't be earlier than 1936, but it could be later. It must be after the King's death in 1936, otherwise the Prince of Wales warrant wouldn't have that date range underneath.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Shusteroo and plousia like this.
  9. Yuppy

Yuppy Registered Guest

These are other variants of 30s Aquascutum. As Ruth says, one warrant is an indicator of older garments. I'm not familiar with British Royal Family, but well versed with British manufactured vintage garments. Usually if you see singular "REGD" sign on the labels for British garments, it means 20s-40s vintage. I see the square paper tag blackrussian1105 shared as an indicator of WW2 era because I have 40s made Royal Airforce and Royal Marine officer jackets, which have the exactly same tag.

I found this thread while searching information for a coat I bought. Still stick with 40s for your coat even after 6 years.

P.S. I have a coat made by Mandleberg in 1800s , it's so nice and qualitied. Would not be found easily, but recommend it. I love old British designs and quality.

Attached Files:

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I have often seen REGD on British garments later than that. I've seen it at least to the 1960s.

I repeat, the OPs can't be that old, because of the Queen Mother Royal Warrant. This is not a matter of opinion, that particular royal Warrant simply did not exist until 1952. You may have seen the square tag earlier than this, but other factors on this coat show it cannot be as early as WW2. or 1940s.

If you wish to discuss your Aquascutum labels, or your Mandleburg coat, I suggest you start a new thread. We'd all love to see the coats, I'm sure.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    plousia likes this.
  11. Just chiming in that it's literally impossible for the OPs coat to be older than 1952. There was no Queen Mother Royal Warrant before then because a "Queen Mother" didn't exist.
    King George VI's wife Elizabeth did not become a "Queen Mother" until she was the mother of a queen... Queen Elizabeth II. And Princess Elizabeth did not become Queen Elizabeth II until King George VI's death in 1952.

BlackLotusVintage and Retro Ruth like this.