Vintage Babette SF crinkle pleated skirt needs hemming

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elizabeth Korsmo, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Elizabeth Korsmo

Elizabeth Korsmo Registered Guest

Hello all! I've got a Babette maxi length crinkle pleated skirt with a print of the Mona Lisa on the front and the back. It is unique, fits like I'm a mermaid and has held up beautifully. However, when the bottom got kind of tattered a few years ago, I cut off an inch in length. Now the bottom spreads out more than the rest of the skirt because the pleats are released from each other (although they are still there, just not as precise). I too have changed shape (menopause is not awesome) and I thought I'd see about getting advice on how to hem this skirt without exacerbating the problem. The elastic in the waist is also shot, and I need to replace that. I have a serger, which is how the raw edges appear to have been finished before they were sewn down, a coverlocker and a regular sewing machine.

How can I hem this without either completely flattening the pleats or sewing them down and having to hobble instead of walk?