vintage costume jewelry repair- hourly pay

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by eclectic chic, Aug 20, 2004.

1. eclectic chic

eclectic chic Registered Guest

Hello. Can anyone tell me the hourly wage that should be paid for vintage costume jewelry repair? This is a part time position that I was offered from a vintage store owner in Los Angeles, CA. Any advice would be helpful....THANKS!

2. That sounds like a great job! I have no idea what the pay should be, but I suspect someone around here does.

I wish I knew how to repair costume jewelry. I've got lots of pretty things missing just a stone or two.

Carol

3. That sounds like a great job! I have no idea what the pay should be, but I suspect someone around here does.

I wish I knew how to repair costume jewelry. I've got lots of pretty things missing just a stone or two.

Carol

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Not knowing what was offered, and even so,,,I think that it is hard to say because every "market" is different. The cost of living is different everywhere and everyone's circumstances and experience is different. you have people from several countries who are reading this... so it would be impossible to give you a quote.

You just have to decide if the rate, regardless of what the job is doing is satisfactory to you. forget that its doing jewelry and just imagine it as an office job etc...would you go to work for $5 an hour $10? $20? Piece rate? or would you press the snooze button? would it be enough to fill up the gas tank, buy whatever you needed to do the job (tools? lunch? clothes?), and have something for your efforts.

If you have another income otherwise and are doing on the side for the love of it, the experience, or hopes in turning into something bigger, it would be assessed differently as if this would be your bread and butter. Not that i think people should work for nothing just because they have another source of income, but if you have the opportunity to get the experience that you want, sometimes the opportunity trumps the actual pay rate, esp if you are learning a new skill or it will open a door somewhere higher down the line. Especially if you have never worked in that capacity (doing jewelry repair before).

who knows, maybe once you are there, you can negotiate a percentage of the selling price...just a thought...depending on what level of merchandise they sell of course..

sorry i am absolutely no help.,,and believe me i did many jobs that i loved and got very little and made buckets of money on things i merely tolerated... I do believe in taking risks and doing what you love, but sometimes people know that and know you are willing to take very little money for "love." so just honestly think about what you want, be fair to yourself but don't price yourself completely out of the job either unless you have the experience in the craft to back it up.

5. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

I have now idea what the employment laws are in the United States but up here in Canada, employers are required to pay a "minimum wage" and this is the least they can pay by law.

I really don't know what minimum wage is but I think here in BC it is pretty close to $8.00 per hour....

I can't comment on your behalf but I would imagine you would take the offer for whatever money you think you should be working for and based on your experience???

Nanc

6. I handle fine jewelry and send to a place in St. Louis for repairs. I can tell you, the cheapest he has ever done anything is $8.50 or $9.00.

I would certainly tell them that you won't come in just for one hour (or are you doing it at home?). If you had to drive and spend the gas, etc., I would have them set a flat so many hours pay, say 4 or 5 hours if you have to come in.

Now, tell me, what is your secret for gluing stones back in. Do you use just Elmer's glue, crazy glue or what? :)

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

As someone who has underpriced myself all my life, all I can say is don't underprice yourself. Charge what your time is worth and what the quality of your work supports. You may find it more lucrative to charge by the piece... I don't know. Just don't undersell yourself.