Vintage Lilli Ann

UndoneMrs

Registered Guest
Hi everyone ! Hope someone can date this Lilli Ann. Its thick black wool fabric, super soft, with a tiny bit of shine. Could it be cashmere ? What kind of pleats are at the upper shoulder ? I looked at the label resource and the label corresponds to early 60s. I was thinking 50s, but could be wrong. I love the lining !
IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

It looks very '50's to me. Is there a Union label in the coat? I have a Lilli Ann with that label and it has the 1955-1963 union label. Not sure what the pleats are called - someone else will know!

I think your jacket is mid-'50's.

Linn

Much thanks Linn ! I can't find any other labels/tags. I know Lilli Ann stopped using as lovely fabrics in their 60s and 70s pieces.

The close up of the fabric appears to show mohair fibers on the surface giving it a slightly frosted appearance. I find that sometimes in luxurious wool coating fabrics used in both men's and women's coats.

Lilli Ann is noted for wonderful coating fabrics. The plaid lining also says 1960's to me. Some coats were still being made from fine fabrics in the 1960's. You should do well on the coat. There are people who collect Lilli Ann and that is a timeless style.

The Vogue Sewing Book, 1973, a reference book I use constantly, calls them unpressed side pleats. The fold line may be stitched underneath to hold them in place.

Marian

Hi,

Lovely. I think mid 1950's as well, but it could be a few years later. The coat may be made of wool "melton" fabric, which was used for coats and sometimes seen in winter suits. Melton is a bit longer in the "nap", but this has the slight sheen and look of it.

Fabulous coat!

Barbara

It is a wonderful coat! I've always loved that collar style, and the shoulder treatment is very chic. I think this is probably late 50s, perhaps very early 60s. The lining, both the fabric and the pattern, looks more modern than mid 50s, and the sleeve length and width looks like it's trending toward an early 60's look.

Back