Vintage mink coat worth?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NiamhO333, Jun 27, 2024 at 7:46 AM.

1. NiamhO333

NiamhO333 Registered Guest

Hi! I’m looking for some advice about a coat that I have recently been given from my grandfather. It was my great grandmothers and she purchased it in what we believe was the 1960s but we are not certain however it was definitely somewhere around this period. She purchased it from a boutique/seamstress in london. It is completely handmade using covered entirely in real fur mink and has golden embroidered flowers on the what I believe to be satin inside and suede/ velvet interior of the pockets. My great gran lived in Wales and travelled to London simply to get this coat. As it was handmade and tailored to fit my great gran there is absolutely no tags on it with the same of the seamstress, boutique or a size (it was made to fit) and we have no receipts or authentication however it I believe it is evident just by looking at it that it is real fur mink. We don’t know exactly how much my great gran purchased this for all those years ago however she herself stated it was over £1,000. It is in pristine condition and has only ever been worn twice by Great gran and my gran to winter balls. My grandad has now passed it on to me as a family heirloom and told me I can sell however I have to clue if the value has increased or depreciated and wouldn’t know what to sell it for so if anyone can give me an honest rough idea it would be much appreciated.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have uploaded 3 images so please let me know if they have worked, thank you.

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I am unable to see the images. However, furs often have more value in sentimentality than in actual cash.

3. I agree with Sadie that fur coats have more sentimental value than cash value. Wearing real fur has gone out of style, and is often considered ethically wrong by many people nowadays (even vintage furs).
    Regardless, per forum rules, we cannot offer guidance on value or pricing. Your best bet would be to search completed sales on ebay.
    I, too, cannot see your photos.

EDIT: Did you use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom right of the text-box?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 8:33 PM
    Retro Ruth likes this.