'Vintage' pricing in charity/thrift shops/stores

Brian Boru

Registered Guest
I've noticed over say the last five years in charity shops here in Ireland that they have a special rail marked 'vintage' or just unmarked where they hang all the more desirable clothes that have 'luxury' labels and price them accordingly.

For example I was in a shop today where just about everything 'Adidas' was over priced.

In 'the good old days' you could pick up a bargain but not today. Everyone is an internet expert.

I'm not really a 'vintage shop' customer and mainly just like browsing charity shops for old interesting things.

I know in the book trade some dealers resent charity shops because they don't have the same overheads and get their stock for free. Presume similar applies in the vintage rag trade.

Just some random thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Yes I've found it really frustrating that one of my favourite thrift shops has started separating and marking up clothing they consider more desirable. Thankfully they don't know a lot about vintage so good stuff still gets missed, but it's frustrating. They had a very 70s dress recently that they were selling as 50s.

My favorite charity thrift store started a vintage rack about 2 years ago with higher prices too. But last week I found a 1930s hand embroidered cotton peasant blouse for $14.00 in excellent shape and it was not on the "vintage" rack. And last November in the same shop I found a large antique Hand embroidered ivory silk piano shawl in excellent shape for $20.00. Again, it was in with the tablecloths, not in the vintage shelf. Bargains are still to found from time to time. It funny, as the vintage rack they have hardly ever has anything interesting to me and they are overpriced.

I wish I had more time to go thrifting!

Yes, definitely, I see that too. Humana in Vienna has certain shops that are now called "Humana Trend Vintage" and everything in there is supposed to be vintage (heavy emphasis on "supposed" :rolleyes:) and they have had "exclusive" racks for years for the brand-name clothing that's more expensive.

Still, even at their "normal" shops in the outer or unsexy 'burbs you can find vintage - and then it's usually a very good deal! But it takes time and patience. And at their main "vintage" shop I picked out the unexciting-looking brown 1930s dress from amongst the crazy 70s polyester maxis and got it for for an equally unexciting price. I wore it a few times, enjoyed it - and have since donated it to the Vienna City Museum's fashion collection.

Yes, definitely, I see that too. Humana in Vienna has certain shops that are now called "Humana Trend Vintage" and everything in there is supposed to be vintage (heavy emphasis on "supposed" :rolleyes:) and they have had "exclusive" racks for years for the brand-name clothing that's more expensive.

Still, even at their "normal" shops in the outer or unsexy 'burbs you can find vintage - and then it's usually a very good deal! But it takes time and patience. And at their main "vintage" shop I picked out the unexciting-looking brown 1930s dress from amongst the crazy 70s polyester maxis and got it for for an equally unexciting price. I wore it a few times, enjoyed it - and have since donated it to the Vienna City Museum's fashion collection.

From Dublin

I've noticed the larger charities have become more 'professional' with their outlets so pricing is part of this. Inevitably they have also become more 'corporate'. I was in one yesterday where a staff member was reading out to fellow volunteers the latest circular from head office full of gobbledegook.

On a higher note I found a shop from an small charity that had all the clothes well sorted and labelled with prices for 'labels' about half what the others are asking and offering a 10% discount for students and pensioners. I will certainly be going back. My day's purchases were a cycling related novel (1918 edition) by H. G. Wells called 'The Wheels of Chance', a shirt from A&F and a pair of Ecco leather shoes.

That sounds like a great shop! What I remember from Dublin were some great vintage shops in the city centre when I was there. My colleagues were already at the pub and I was still shopping... story of my life!

Yes, Humana is now all in on the vintage trend. Here in Switzerland I prefer Caritas - also a charity, the shops are nice and professionally run, and they have one "posh" shop here in Zurich where they sell the expensive stuff - also in a more expensive suburb. However, I live in a not very trendy part of town, and I get the everything-that-didn't-sell-at-the-other-shops-is-50%-off, which is great for real bargains on nice things. Occasionally vintage, but they don't put an emphasis on it. But I'd rather shop there for clothes, I can see where the money goes (local charity) and they provide jobs for trainees too and for people who wouldn't find a job elsewhere. And I know what I donate there will land at one of their shops.

I noticed this years ago and stopped shopping at thrift stores because the prices were often more there than buying new! Oh for the good old days, for anyone who can remember back to the 80s... when thrift stores had their 'Halloween' rack go up in late September, and that was filled with 40s/50/60s 'funny' clothes.... I got a lot of great stuff from those racks - even Edwardian pieces. And all for $5.00 - $10.00

I noticed this years ago and stopped shopping at thrift stores because the prices were often more there than buying new! Oh for the good old days, for anyone who can remember back to the 80s... when thrift stores had their 'Halloween' rack go up in late September, and that was filled with 40s/50/60s 'funny' clothes.... I got a lot of great stuff from those racks - even Edwardian pieces. And all for $5.00 - $10.00

If only I had somehow gotten into thrift shopping as a child!

If only I had somehow gotten into thrift shopping as a child!
Still time.

This song comes to mind.

"I'm wearing second-hand shoes
Second-hand hose
All the girls hand me their second-hand beaus
Even my pajamas, when I don them
Have somebody else's 'nitials on them
Second-hand rings
I'm sick of second-hand things
I never get what other girlies do
Once while strolling through the Ritz, a woman got my goat
She nudged her friend and said, "Oh, look, there goes my last year's coat!"