Waverly Fabric on Bolt- Suffolk?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Heather Rodrigues, Sep 2, 2024.

1. Heather Rodrigues

Heather Rodrigues Registered Guest

Hello!
    I am hoping someone may be able to give me guidance on this bolt of Waverly fabric. On the selvedge it says "Suffolk" which I assume is the print name, but when I search the internet I find nothing- most similar print looks to be Georgetown.

Am I correct that Suffolk is the name? I assume this is not a really desirable print so I'd be best to sell the bolt in it's entirety if I decide to list it.

Appreciate the help!

Attached Files:

2. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

The print name is usually in quotes, but it does look like “Suffolk” is the print name here, Can’t see it too well. I think having a large quantity is desirable, but my impression is that the novelty prints sell the best.

3. Heather Rodrigues

Heather Rodrigues Registered Guest

Thanks for your input Jen!

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I believe it is a 1970s interior decorating fabric, so the larger quantity is good.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The fabric was definitely made for interior design use. F. Schumacher, the parent company of Waverly is still in business. (Their name is also on the label attached to the role of your fabric.) The name of the design is probably Suffolk. There's a style number on the tag (I can't read it) - It's probably not searchable at this point but you could try. I agree with Maggie that the colors are very '70s, and since it is a traditional pattern, it could have been made anytime from the 1960s on.

Is it 54" wide or 48" wide? If it is wider, it would be considered multi-purpose; intended for seating, upholstery, etc. If narrower, it would have been meant for curtains, table skirts, throw pillows, etc. IF it's narrower, - 45" it is older.

denisebrain likes this.