What date *is* this shirt??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Noir*Boudoir, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

I put this flouncey Harrods shirt up in my mall store, assuming 80s (or perhaps early 70s). But my mum took a look & she comments:

"I had a similar frilly blouse in 1964. I had seen it on a friend and liked it, but as she was a tall Scandinavian descent it looked rather better on her."
    (Mum being at the time a very petite, slim brunette)

[​IMG]

So I'm not sure now... It's true that the actual fabric of the cuffs ends at bracelet length, with the ruffles descending to the wrist from there, like some late 60s dresses I've seen.

Fabric is some variety of light & finely woven manmade. All seams machine stitched but not serged. Metal-backed buttons and a small snapper at the neck.
    Here's the label - the tint is just from the lighting I took it in:

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I'd be most grateful, I could revise the blurb...
    L

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have seen these ruffled blouses in mags as early as 1964, although the ruffles aren't quite so frilly and big. This looks later 60s to me -- more Lulu "To Sir with Love"ish. Actually I was looking at my grade school photos only last week and in Grade 2 a lot of girls had lace ruffled collars and cuffs, even the teacher had them! And that was 1968. I think its kind of the downslide from space age MOD. There is more of that softer romantic look, even Hippie influenced clothes in 1968/69.

3. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Ooh, that's very early Mrs Peel style - definitely 60s (she had some enormous low-cut ruffles in 1965)....

4. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

O-kay, thank you, you two!
    Just goes to show how wide of the mark I can be (doh).
    The feel of the fabric and the shortness of the style had kind of led me astray (though I doubt you could argue either really look later).
    (off to revise the listing and pay more attention to separates styling...)
    L

5. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

I agree, and that Harrods label looks 'older' too - not sure if we have it on the labels pages.

6. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Yeah, I'd originally disregarded the label, thinking Harrods could have been a bit 'archaic', but you're absolutely right. I've stuck it on the end of the labels thread in case Lizzie wants to add it - unfortunately it's tiny and a bit curled up, so I didn't get a very good picture.
    L

7. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

I always forget about this side to 60's fashion, too... although you'd think it would be formost in our thoughts after Austin Powers.
    Has that kind of romantic "foppish" look to it

kristine