What do I make of this necklace?

Patentleathershoes

VFG Veteran
VFG Past President
I have had this for a bit and never got around to doing anything with it as I was just stumped over it for some time.
(truly at a loss for words).

If nothing else, it is certainly unusual. Blue and black double strand vintage plastic number. I would think of confetti for the large beads, but then I would not want people confused with confetti lucite which is an actual thing and it is definitely not.

Once again, I find something indescribable. But I bet that means someone out there is gonna love it.

So if anyone has any reactions at all to even point me in the right direction of grasping a description, I am all ears!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

bluenecklacedetail.jpg

bluenecklace.jpg

bluenecklaceclasp.jpg

Chris, I think it is very pretty. Don't know what to say about description. Just got my new Marie Claire and new look for Spring is Bohemian type necklaces and layering two different ones that are totally different looking. Some have bows tied to them. Somebody creative could do something with that necklace.:)

Hmmm....

that is a possibility that I didn't think of. I will have to pick up Marie Claire and check it out.

I was vaguely taking a stab in the dark and guessing 60s on this, but I really have no clue at all so am open to being way off. It could be any decade. The big beads really throw me at a loss for words.

It puts me in mind of good old Venetian Glass, with the larger beads like those abstract glass paperweights. Love the colours too!

I wish it was glass! But I may mention that too. Those blue bits actually stick out, so it looks like someone rolled an ice cream ball in sprinkles.

"Black and Blue Duo Strand Vintage Necklace with Bluebery Sprinkes - Like Ventian Glass Inclusions!"

Hi Chris -
Definitely pulls in the feel of the 1950s, especially West Germany work. Plastic jewelry has been around for a very long time.... but in the post WWII era of Western Germany they really did some fun stuff with plastic beads. Good collectible starting! Is the clasp marked??

Also... the blues were very popular in the mid-late 50s. Lots and lots of powder blue rhinestone jewelry then ...and the plastic lines followed right along.

I think I would agree that plastic copy of Venetian art glass beads would certainly be appropriate for descriptive words.

Fun piece.... not sure it would bring too high of a reward at this point in time though by itself.

just 2cents worth....
;)

I just have a lot of fun necklaces that would be great wearable accessories. Not too many of my jewelry pieces would garnet a lot of attention from people who look at jewelry in of itself to collect it, but if offered at the same time as some dress or suit that this necklace would just be the finishing touch and make it look dynamite, then it definitely has a market. I offer them more as accessories so people don't have to go around the world looking for just the thing. I am not intending to sell it for bags of cash by any means.

And your question...it is unmarked. if it was West Germany that would have given me something to go on :) or Japan

Chris

Chris,
The necklace is quite pretty!

I think I would use the words RICH COBALT JEWELTONE and BOHEMIAN.

And don't underestimate the collectibility of plastic.
The COLOR alone will bring the looks!

It would be STUNNING PAIRED with a LONG JET NECKLACE!!!

Back