What is this large bib-like collar?

zannew

Registered Guest
I have never seen such a large collar - if that is what it is. This is beautifully beaded and embroidered. Can anyone date this and identify it for me?

DSC_0630-1.jpg

DSC_0631-1.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

Here is the inside....

DSC_0637-1.jpg

I've seen a few similar garments and I generally date them as '60s: yours has been hand beaded, probably in Hong Kong. I have no idea what to call it. Pity about the stain - hope you can get that out.

That's an interesting idea - the tucker or modesty panel - at least it seems feasible and would give this item some practical purpose.

Thank you all for your input!

it is so wide, and the edge is scalloped and finished... first impression reminded me of some of the fancy over lays or vestments worn in the catholic church...although it is shorter than most, and more feminine.

I'm not sure what it is, either, but I do think it's probably from the Philipines or Hong Kong - and it looks like it's cotton. I can see it worn over a garment, too - but I'm not sure "how????"

If this is an item from the Phillipines I have just looked up some information on the types of cloth they use.

if you look up this term you will find information on it...barong Tagalog

here is a brief synopsis on wikapedia

Filipinos don their finest formal barong in a variety of fabrics.
Piña fabric is hand-loomed from pineapple leaf fibers. Because piña weavers in the Philippines are dwindling, its scarcity makes the delicate piña cloth expensive and is thus used for very formal events.
Jusi fabric is mechanically woven and was once made from abacca or banana silk.
Banana fabric is another sheer fabric used in formal occasions. Made and hand woven from banana fiber, it usually comes with geometric design details. This fabric hails from the Visayas island of Negros.

Being from the Phillipines, this does indeed look similar to a barong- but I've never seen one anything like this. Typically barongs are formal wear, made for men. The tropical equivalant to a dress jacket, if you will. My husband and his groomsmen wore them when we wed. I have only seen a few made for women and the were styled as ladylike blouses with a traditional full shoulder and buttons down the front. The shape is a bit of a mystery to me if it is indeed from PI. I also have never seen a barong with any type of beading on it, usually just very delicate embroidery. The more elaborate the design, the more affulent the family. I am in no way an expert, but I don't think this is a barong..... I could be completely wrong though, so don't hold me to it! I read this forum everyday to learn, but I rarely comment because I'm just a novice vintage clothing lover!

Back