What kind of weave type is this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by moxysquib, Nov 13, 2023.

1. moxysquib

moxysquib Registered Guest

This is a wool dress from the late '50s / early '60s, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of weave this is. I tend to think of it as "basket weave", but that doesn't seem appropriate for a dress. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I see why you say basketweave. I am not sure, but I would say it is a novelty weave in imitation of basketweave. What does the reverse look like?

moxysquib likes this.
  4. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

5. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

afaik tweed is a type of fabric, not a weave. At least in the knitting world, it usually refers to yarn that has kind of mixed colour or flecks of different colours on a main colour.

moxysquib and Retro Ruth like this.
  6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree tweed is a fabric, usually pure wool, that can come in different weaves. Outside the knitting world though, it's not necessarily flecked or mixed colour - plain tweed exists. Donegal tweed is a type of tweed that is characterized by flecks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    moxysquib, wyogems and plousia like this.
  7. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

I've seen this referred to as basketweave or Panama weave.

moxysquib, wyogems and Retro Ruth like this.
  8. moxysquib

moxysquib Registered Guest

Thank you all so much! For some reason, I didn’t get notifications of your replies so I’m just seeing them now. I appreciate all your insight!

denisebrain likes this.