What the Domb is this for, anyway?

• Thread starter Thread starter elsewhere
  • Start date Start date
E

elsewhere

Hi All!

I picked up this really cute Emma Domb dress. It's a maxi with a cute lil' bolero.
I'm thinking early 70's on this.... but what I'm really curious about is what the original intent of this dress would have been? It seems a bit casual for prom... but a bit too dressy for anything else.
Suggestions?
Oh... and can you take a look at the material? I have NO idea how to describe it! It's almost like a plaid pattern... except the fabric is woven a bit less thickly at those lines. Ack. That sounds stupid.

Anyway..... you'll find many more pics here:
http://www.elsewherevintage.com/domb

domb35.jpg

any help is appreciated!

Hmmm....spring garden wedding guest? easter sunday but a denomination that still dresses up?

to me, it seems to me more like a "floor length gown" versus the standard image of a maxidress. i know i am just playing semantics here.

Ohh I like the "spring garden wedding guest" images... that makes more sense.

I think you're right... it's more of a gown than a maxi... but also "gown" always seems more formal to me.
Maybe I'll just call it a "long dress". Heh.

kristine

I'll bet this was a bridesmaid dress. I got married in 1973, and pale yellow and light green were the big colors for weddings then and this simple style was what we were wearing. Not a ruffle or full tulle skirt in sight!

Jody

My sister wore a dress very similar to this one to prom in 1970. Same color, empire waist. I remember it distictly because she tried to get a tan that day to go with it and ended up beet red! I was 9 at the time and got in big trouble for laughing at her.:saint:

Ok... so early 70's confirmed.
I'm putting this on my website rather than ebay... so at least KWs aren't as big of a deal at this point. But it sounds like this would have worked well for a bridesmaid or prom, despite the casual feel of the fabric.
Coolio, thanks!:wub:

Anyone have any idea on how to describe the material? It is kind of woven.. is there a term for this kind of fabric? It must be cotton or a cotton/poly blend.

Dang, I don't know what to call the weave. I'd like to know, too. I sometimes run across linen in that weave pattern.

...just had to chime in that 'wedding guest' came to my mind most immediately, too. ...and that I wore a gown of the same weave (also cotton-poly blend), in a garden wedding in precisely 1973, too. Ha! I just recently gave up on my daughter ever wearing it and ravished it for the buttons, zipper, and lace. :horny:

Actually, I think this is 60s, and would the material be waffle weave?

I got married in 1970 and my bridesmaids wore dotted swiss, too!

Back