What "the mid-nineteenth-century look" has in common with 1940s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kate1994, May 30, 2024.

1. Kate1994

Kate1994 Registered Guest

Hi there!
    I'm new to the forum, I need someone's expertise in fashion history.
    In the book The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester came across this sentence:
    "The silhouettes were as different from the mid-nineteenth-century look that was so pervasive right then and also so infantilizing that Estella heard at least one or two exclamations".
    As far as the novel itself is about 1940s, it made me curious what "the mid-nineteenth-century look" could actually have to do with all this.
    What "the mid-nineteenth-century look" has in common with 1940s?

I would be grateful if you help me out.
    thanks!

BlackLotusVintage likes this.
  2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Which part of the 1940s? Pre-war? War time? Post WW2? There were some major shifts in fashion over that decade.

And what is Estella wearing that elicits the exclamations?

3. Kate1994

No, Estella is wearing nothing. Estella is a Parisian Seamstress who immigrated to America because of the WWII. But she wants to become a fashion designer, so, she organizes a show to sell some of the dresses she had made before.
    The silhouettes the author is referring to are the ones of the dresses created by Estrella.

4. retro ruth

retro ruth Administrator Staff Member

I do believe there was a Victorian revival look in the 1940s. I had a late 1940s evening dress once that was very 'Victoriana'

5. Kate1994

could you please attach some photos?

6. retro ruth

Sorry it's so long ago I don't have the photo's anymore.

7. retro ruth

It was a bit like this though - the one at the front - 1940s pattern

[​IMG]

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

There was definitely a girlish look popular with young women in the early 40s. Example from my website
    IMG_9580.jpeg

And as the war started, Paris was cut off from the rest of the world. The couture house had to make a major push to become relevant again.

9. retro ruth

Think V waist, or dropped waist, very full skirt perhaps tiered, fitted bodice, off the shoulder, or puffed shoulders. You can find this is mid 19th Century and the 1940s, especially evening wear.

10. Kate1994

oh... and that could be considered somewhat "Victorian" look back then? It makes sense. Looks very much alike.

11. Kate1994

It's such an unusual thing... Victorian era amidst of 1940s... I would never even thought it could exist back then...
    Thank you.

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

"Gone With The Wind" had a pretty good influence on American fashion for a few years in the late 30s and early to mid 40s. And even a few major Paris Haute Couture designers (like Dior) were showing dresses with bustle backs around 1938, but not influenced by the American film.

13. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

There was the Gone With the Wind movie (1939) costumes phenomenon.

14. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hey Barbara, great minds!

MagsRags and Rue_de_la_Paix like this.
  15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Is the book a work of fiction? I have a blouse with the label "Estella" and it dates to the 1940s.

Yes, Maggie, we cross posted!

16. Kate1994

yes, that's a work of fiction

17. Kate1994

Could you please attach some photo so that I could get the idea properly?
    I've read the book, but never actually watched the movie.

18. Kate1994

But that influenced only evening dresses, am I right that It had nothing to do with day dresses fashion

19. Kate1994

20. Your inquiry made me remember a dress that I once asked about here, a late 40s/early 50s Lord & Taylor dress I have in my collection:

Screenshot (142).png

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    plousia and denisebrain like this.