When did Spanish language on labels become a requirement in the US?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plousia, Jun 11, 2024.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

I can't seem to find this info, including a search on this forum. I did find one post that indicated it might be post-NAFTA (so mid-90s). Is that correct?

I have an India rayon hippie dress that does look rather 70s but the label is in English, French and Spanish. It has US RN and Canadian CA numbers. Maybe I will post pics when I take them for opinions, I am suspicious it might be more 90s-ish.

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

It's not a requirement. Usually the languages are for the countries where they will be distributed/sold.

plousia and Rue_de_la_Paix like this.
  3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

OK thanks. Here are some photos of the dress/labels if anyone can give me opinions on dating. My first thought was 70s but some things are making me doubt. Thoughts welcome! I did find out the company began in 1975 and is still active today. This style doesn't look like their current ones, but I'm just not sure if it's 70s or later.

Attached Files:

4. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

This looks like a mid-late 90s babydoll. It’s the waistline. Can’t tell anything from personal experience with the label, but this combo style of hippie/babydoll has come into and out of fashion, mass and small produced imports sold at places on Haight street in San Francisco, Melrose in LA and Hawthorne in Portland - with fair regularity from mid 90s through now.

plousia likes this.
  5. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Thanks so much. That's what I suspected, appreciate the confirmation.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I was also thinking 90s rather than 70s. Because of the overall shape, but also I have this idea that the 70s hippy wear tends to have symmetrical pattern placement, whereas by the 90s manufacturers didn't always bother so much with that. So, your bodice, one side different to the other, doesn't seem 70s to me. I may be wrong about this! But that's my observation - not that later garments are never symmetrical, but that 70s ones usually are.

plousia likes this.
  7. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

That's a very interesting clue and one I'll tuck away for the future.