1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which came first the chicken or the necklace?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lindapoirier, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Guest

III

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
    PastPiecesVintage likes this.
  2. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

Those necklaces are fantastic! Do you sell them or just collect?

I had no idea about the chicken bands! Very interesting.

3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hi Linda -- Do you mean that poultry bands make up the chains links in your first piece? It's very colorful and attractive.

However, is the pendant the dress clip that you removed the back from, and was it an undamaged clip?

ETA: OK, I just read your post again carefully, and realize that the metal necklace is the one comprised of the poultry rings. Nice job.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have a number of original celluloid and Bakelite necklaces in my personal collection. Linda, your theory about the chicken bands is interesting - certainly the modern equivalants are similar - although some of the vintage links are oval and some are round - and most are colors match the rest of the piece - blue, mottled salmon, etc. This is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

Your colorful necklace is fabulous but I do want to say that I am not in favor of repurposing vintage dress clips (or pencil sharpeners) if they are undamaged and can be used for their original purpose. There are ways to temporararly convert clips and pins to pendants and it is possible to "clip a clip" to a chain. This is a late 1940's Boucher set. The ornament on the chain is fur clip that clips or fits over the chain and it can also still be worn as a fur clip.

[​IMG]

5. Metro Retro Vintage

I've just removed what I said, since I was reacting. However, Linda -- welcome. But please note what was said earlier to another poster about catching more bees with honey.

Your jewelry is quite lovely and very creative (and a lot of work). However, please keep in mind that this is a Vintage forum for a Vintage Guild, and so upcycling is not something that is encouraged.

However, you may want to visit the Vintage Village...

http://thevintagevillage.com/

They have a sister group called Vintage Rising with lots of crafters and upcyclers, and I think you'll enjoy it.

6. Metro Retro Vintage

I'm glad you have a sense of humor :)

Oh that Felix necklace! I want!

7. Metro Retro Vintage

Oh, those are fun! But I know what you mean about that thin celluloid coating on the string, which always tends to crack. I wish I knew of a way to avoid it. Maybe they should be reserved for ballroom dancing only. ;)

8. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Very awesome photo of the lady.
    I have a ? I am hesitant to ask but am very curious. Celluloid (not bakelite) is flammable. Is that a problem or with jewelry is it stable?

9. foofoogal

Me either. Thank you for the information.
    Sandy

10. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Me too Laura- I love it!

I want the doll necklace too!

11. foofoogal

I have old annuals 1920s to 1960s. Thanks to you Linda I am now on hunts to spot vintage theme sweaters and necklaces.
    Will report back with any finds. I so love vintage and history.

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

14. Midge

15. poppysvintageclothing

That green celluloid necklace is lovely...you have some amazing collections, Linda! Never would have considered the chicken tag links!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  16. Midge

17. poppysvintageclothing

I do find them a little large with the rabbits....like the saw necklace and earrings!

18. poppysvintageclothing

19. poppysvintageclothing