Why is this thread belt loop so high up?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. Here's a ypical 60s rollneck poly dk dress. Nothing unusual there. It's got an ILGWU (63-74) and size tag, so not homemade. BUT... what's with this thread belt loop? It's directly below the left armpit. And no, Nicole, it's not a thread that's pulled through. It's a true, knotted/crocheted loop.

The dress is far too big for my dress form. But anyone bigger (and especially bustier), would be hard pressed to get the belt around at that height (it would cut across the bust!). You can see that the belt at that high position is pulling at the loop, even on Cecelia. I also took a photo of it at the natural waist (much better).

There is no evidence of a matching loop ever having been on the other side (although with this type of fabric, such evidence could have disappeared ages ago).

This isn't a big deal, of course, and the loop could easily be snipped and forgotten. But WHY is it there? Does anyone know? Is it intended for some other purpose? Maybe it just held a tag or something? I'm curious. Thanks for help -- Liza

00354-001highbeltSMALL.jpg 00354-001threadlpSMALL.jpg 00354-001thrdloopinsideSMALL.jpg 00354-001SMALL.jpg

2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

That loop was used to attach sale tags to the dress. Not a belt loop.

3. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Beautiful dress too.

4. So I was right about the tag theory? Wow. Seems like a lot of work just for attaching a tag! Thanks very much, Chris. It IS a very nice dress. Perfect for the holidays, no?

5. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Well I could be wrong but I've seen tags hanging from those little underarm threads. Someone else may come along with another use.

Yes it is perfect for the holidays. I love the color.

6. Good enough an explanation for me, Chris! Makes sense, and if you've seen it before, surely that's got to be the answer. But this is why we like vintage, right? Because they took the time to make quality things that last. Sure beats a plastic doodad holding the tag on : ).

7. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Well the dress was manufactured before the plastic doodads came into use. It looks like a late 60s dress.

8. It could also be used to hang the belt from with on the hanger. I am assuming that there are no other belt loops?

9. I agree with Chris: it's for the swing tag, now that I can see the loop.

10. Yes, 60s for sure. Thanks everyone.