Why is vintage men's jewellery marked IMITATION?

Pinkcoke

Alumni
On vintage men's cuff links, tie bars/clips, studs etc. I see a lot of the time the 'Imitiation' marking being referred to as Imitations of Stratton designs but I've recently come to the conclusion it must mean something else.
Seeing Gayle's old listing for english collar studs for example (hope you don't mind Gayle :) )- the original card marked Gilt Imitation Jewellery made me think was it to state that they were 'costume' jewellery rather than precious jewellery, in which case, would this mean a piece marked Stratton Imitation, is not, as I would have thought, an imitation of a Stratton design, (which has never made sense to me, why would you name the brand you were copying?) but a genuine Stratton design, albeit a 'costume' piece?

Hi Melanie- I don't mind at all ;)

My understanding has always been like you said- it is to state that they were 'costume' jewellery rather than precious jewellery

I have seen this loads of times on men's gilt accessories, so yes a 'Costume piece' rather than an expensive piece.

That's my take on it anyway, I am sure our jewellery experts will have more info :)

I think "Imitation Jewellry" - might be a British term for all costume jewelery not just for men's jewelry. Here's a C. 1930's ad that I used in my VFG 2010 Jewelry Presentation that shows an Asprey's ad:

Aspreyqus%201930%20Ad%20%20-%20Paste.jpg

The strange thing is. none of the pieces I have could be confused for fine jewellery - they have no stones. Plain moulded metal tie clips, some reverse carved lucite cuff links.
Some other theories I came across was that Imitation was a range by Stratton (this is a popular one, though most unlikely I think) and that Imitation was a patended method of giving the appearance of gold plating. (with something other than gold?!)

Back