why isn't this 1930s velvet gown selling?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vgriffin, Jun 14, 2006.

1. vgriffin

vgriffin Registered Guest

why isn\'t this 1930s velvet gown selling?

i have this beautiful 1930s velvet evening gown that hasn't gotten a lot of attention. i'm usually pretty good with presentation and selling, but this one doesn't seem to be attracting any serious consideration on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8429234342&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEUS:IT&rd=1

perhaps it's the size? i also thought of rephotographing it against a light background. have older things not been doing as well on ebay lately?

thanks and cheers for your input :) t

2. It's beautiful! There could be many reasons - being spring, summer people may only be looking for lighter, brighter fare, but I think you may be right on the size. Your bust says, 34" against a 27" waist, but the bust appears to be bigger in the picture - is it my eyes?

3. vgriffin

vgriffin Registered Guest

hmmm...perhaps i should remeasure. :)

cheers :) t

4. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

That is just beautiful. If it doesn't sell, I think I would save until November for the Holidays.

I have never had luck selling velvet but never had anything as nice and as vintage as yours either.

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

hmm...

If you are using a reserve price, I would start the opening bid out lower to entice bidding if you are using one. OR I would remove the reserve price and put the opening bid at a price you would be okay with letting it go for. Not a pie in the sky price, but something that you would be comfortable with, and then put a "Buy It Now" on it that is a pie in the sky, best case scenario price.

It is a small size, but not unwearably small. There are a lot of choices out there for XS gals though, and you have to be competitive with having somethign other people do not, OR having a BIN that assures them that they can have it for their party and don't have to wait.

The other thing is you might want to save this when we get a little closer to the holiday parties and the art deco balls because of the material.

A lot of times folks don't consider seasons when they sell things pre 1950. There are things that will sell regardless of season that are older, but you want a bunch of gals all looking for the same thing at the same time for a dress like this.

6. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

I agree with everyone on waiting a little later.

But then the thing that got me was the background. It caught my attention first b/c it is so busy and the dress seems to get lost in the "busy". You want to highlight the dress, not let it the background take over and swallow it whole.......

I hope that was helpful also.....it will sell given the right time, it is a very pretty piece for those company Xmas parties.....

7. nolly

nolly Registered Guest

I agree about the background and would you consider taking a close up picture of the trim?

8. Jennifer O.

Jennifer O. Registered Guest

I would take everthing here into consideration:
    wait for holidays,
    re-photograph the dress, try MORE light (outside?) so the details are more visible. And it really needs a 'body' to show the sleeves and sexy fit. Sort of in a good 30's type pose, right?

Jennifer O.