Wilardly Blue Lucite Clutch Question

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well!

I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for cleaning this blue lucite purse...I think it is lucite anway - have never actually had a lucite purse before. It has some surface marks and scratching that I think would improve with a cleaning but I am petrified of damage. There are no cracks and just two of tiniest little pinprick knicks. Would I be better off to just leave it alone?

Such a pretty blue - I love it!

Thanks all - appreciate any advice or thoughts!
Maureen

vfg2.jpg

vfg1.jpg

vfg3.jpg

vfg4.jpg

Gosh, that's pretty. What a blue. I'd keep cleaning simple. Cotton ball with a dot of Dawn and wipe away with a circular motion. Then use a cotton ball with distilled water and wipe off the soapy stuff.

Hi Maureen, That really is a very pretty purse.

I don't know from experience but I read that you can clean lucite with luke warm water and a mild hand soap and a non abrasive soft cloth.

Please wait for others to chime in because I only read this and did not try it.

Caryn

That's a gorgeous clutch!

Mild soap and a soft, damp cloth (not wet wet) should be OK. But you might want to get some Novus spray cleaner--it is especially made for plastics, and is not supposed to damage Lucite. I've used it, and it leaves a nice shine and no residue. Novus also makes two different scratch "fixers," but I've never tried them. I've heard people say they do a nice job, and I've heard people say to just get the cleaner and don't wast your money on the scratch covers/fixers/repairers.

Thank you! It is really stunning. It matches a sapphire blue silk dress I have for sale perfectly! I just order the small Novus kit so hoping to get it soon. I almost hate to part with this purse but need to get stuff moving!

Thanks all!
Maureen

Maureen, can you let us know how the scratch cover stuff works? I guess they have #2 & #3, with #3 being the "industrial-strength" scratch repair formula. I can get Novus at the antique mall where I have my booth, but hesitated to spend the $$ on anything but the cleaner...

So reporting back in on Novus - I would skip the whole thing. Step 1 left a residue on purse that I ended up having to clean with soapy water and the other 2 steps are worthless. Followed the directions religously.

Just my feedback - from now on will use soft cloth and if necessary dawn and lukewarm water.

It is weird - everywhere I looked on internet they recommended Novus - not for me.

The Wilardy turned out gorgeous and is already off to a new home :) Thanks all!

Oh..that is too bad about the Novus but great that you know now, that you made it even more gorgeous, and that it has a good home. Caryn

I am glad I tried it out - i hate wondering - and I have to also wonder if it just wasnt right for that purse...it has too many glowing reports to be all bad.

Thanks very much for your report, Maureen! Well, you said pretty much the same thing that my friend at the antique mall said--that the scratch repair solutions are pretty much worthless. I won't bother buying those!

Now, I've had really good luck with just the cleaner, on plastic radios, vinyl shoes and bags, etc. You may have used a titch too much on the purse, thus the residue? A little goes a long way. And I do polish it up pretty vigorously (with a very soft cloth) when I use it, and haven't gotten any residue.

Though, I do have to say, the best thing I've found for cleaning/polishing many plastic surfaces is plain old kitchen wax--but I'm not sure you can use it on Lucite. I don't think I'd try it.

Well, at least you only got the small kit and it did not cost you an arm and a leg. That was smart. Thanks for checking back and letting us know and congratulations on selling your bag. :)

Back