will terry cloth bleed?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by little edie, Jun 22, 2015.

1. little edie

little edie Registered Guest

Hello,
    I have a vintage terry cloth bikini top from the 60s and I' am wondering if it will bleed or fad in chlorine.
    thank you

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi, does it have any labels with care or fabric information on it? This is the best place to start.
    I don't think pools were chlorinated in the 60's so you are right to research this first.
    Are you talking indoor or outdoor pools? While indoor pools do contain chlorine I have to think it can't be that strong a dilution, after all, people are swimming in it with bare skin, and our skin is pretty sensitive.
    You could test an inconspicuous area at home first. If you did decide to go in a chlorinated pool with it the best thing to do is rinse it well afterwards in clean tap water.
    I would wait to see if anyone else has experience of testing this situation.

3. little edie

little edie Registered Guest

Hi,
    The label says vanity fair and its made out of acrylic and polyester. I' am going to a water park witch is mostly outdoors.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Chlorine has been used in pools for many years.

Yes, there is a distinct possibility that the fabric will fade following exposure to chlorinated pool water, with repeated exposure adding more likelihood. If you're set on wearing it, I'd advise a thorough gentle suds and rinse, following use.

5. I agree that the top should be thoroughly rinsed and washed after use, but then this is the advise for all swimwear in chlorine, regardless of its age.