Will the real maxfield parrish please stand up?

Patentleathershoes

VFG Veteran
VFG Past President
I was looking on the internet to a companion piece to a Maxfield Parrish print/illustration i own and it has come to my attention that there was a clothing maker with the same name in the 60s/70s. Any relation? Or maybe since he was getting more popular again right before his death in around 1966, someone just thought there was a ring to it??

when i clicked i expected to find museum shop typa things - ties with a painting printed on it, etc but it was nothing like that

Chris

Chris, I have a Maxfield Parrish book here somewhere and will see if I can find any info on his family in it. Did you try a vivisimo.com search?

Sue

"Nigel Preston

Nigel Preston formerly Maxfield Parrish an eccentric English couple who can work leather and sheepskins paper thin yet warm and wearable. Their jackets and coats need to be worn to have their true pattern emerge. They use skin from as far away as Iceland to more traditional places."

from http://www.baccis.ca/clothes.html

Also saw this in an auction on ebay
Not sure how accurate it it.
"The Maxfield Parrish Company was established in London in 1974 by Nigel Preston"

Maybe some of our British posters will have a positive thought, but I'd guess that it was just a case of Mr. Preston using the name. Remember, the late 60s and early 70s were full of nostalgic references to the past.

I wrote an article for my website that centers on the craze for all things 30s and 40s during the early 70s, but the scope of this craze extended even farther back. Look at the Art Nouveau look of Biba, and the American lines, Young Edwardian and Young Victorian. So it's possible that he was looking for a reference from the past on which to stake the reputation of his business.

I'm just guessing, of course....

Lizzie

Lizzie, you could very well be right and those were along the lines of one thought process I had..but didn't articulate as well.

You would think the family of Mr. Parrish would have said something to them. don't you think?? that's what i would wonder...

Back