William rothery london

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by johanne Warren, May 6, 2017.

1. johanne Warren

johanne Warren Registered Guest

Does anyone know anything about William rothery london, have a fantastic 40s coat made by William rothery london and can't find any information on him.

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Please post a photo of the label and of the coat.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

While waiting for photo of your label, I poked around a bit and found an August 1979 obit for costumer William Rothery, in which they noted (emphasis is mine):

"William Rothery first came to Windsor to make costumes for the production of "The Sleeping Beauty" in 1974. So successful was he that (they were) most anxious to secure his services on a more permanent basis...it was therefore a great stroke of luck for the theatre when the lease of William Rothery's London workshop ran out and he agreed to an arrangement by which he moved into their wardrobe premises and there continued his own couture business on the condition that the Theatre Royal had first call on his services for any production requiring costumes to be made...as a most skillful cutter and maker of costumes he will be hard to replace."

I also found a Nov. 1959 classified ad that announced:

"CLOTHES for the theatre, clothes for particular people are made by WILLIAM ROTHERY, at 2, Swiss Terrace, N.W. 6. Phone PRImrose 9104."

Please note that this excerpt is here for educational purposes only and should not be used to enhance the sale of any item. Thank you.

nsweezie likes this.
  4. johanne Warren

Attached Files:

5. johanne Warren

6. johanne Warren

Thank you for your information, I've attached a picture if the 50s coat and label and also have a cocktail dress, I was told that the lady who had owned the clothes worked for William rothery as a seamstress.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I have been looking for additional information for you, off and on for a few days, but have nothing else to add. The majority of my resources are for products/labels from the US, so I regret that my resources for countries other than the US are limited.