Wilmanco Platform Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bycin, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bycin

bycin Guest

Hi and, in advanced, thanks! I'm trying to date these shoes. Wilmanco made a lot of shoes! I was told 1970s, yea? They're stamped Wilmanco on bottom, have a series of numbers on top sole (50M 9138 MR 53000)

Thanks - Cinthia

Attached Files:

2. Hi Cinthia!

I'm going with late '70s, around '77-79.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Could you show the soles please?

4. bycin

bycin Guest

Sure. Picture of sole coming up. Thanks a lot!!

Attached Files:

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I think they could be mid 50's, you start getting resin soles on a lot of sandals and pumps around then. That curved sole appears again in the 70's but it's the finished strap, lack of labels and partly the colours that make me think 50's.

6. bycin

bycin Guest

First, thanks for looking at them and offering some insight! These are have been a mystery. Been getting everything from mid50s to early80s. I'm at a loss as I'm not usually. : (

A lot of people remember them from their own closets in the early80s. A lot of people have thought the construction mid50s. Then there are those who say late70s. Mystery!

Anyone else can help/offer insights... I'm not going to list them till I'm clearer about 'em.

7. bycin

bycin Guest

I'm hoping that if Jonathan's still around... would he be able to weigh in too? Sure appreciate it!!! : )

8. bycin

bycin Guest

I'm getting ready to list these... 70s or 50s? Thanks thanks!!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

My first inclination was 70s too, but looking closer, I think they're early 50s. That weird teletype printing down the sock liner is completely bizarre - never seen that before in a 50s or 70s pair, but the colour of the lining is good for the 50s (if it was 70s it would more likely be white or natural leather colour), also the toe shape is right for the 50s, it would be more almond shaped if it were 70s, and the brass tip on the strap, the brass buckle shape and the materials all look good for the 50s.

10. bycin

bycin Guest

Thank you very very much, Jonathan. Appreciate your time! I don't know about the print "down the sock liner" either. Could that be something done in the UK maybe? About the lining color... I hadn't thought to factor in its color for dating. Thank you!

11. Sarara Brazil

Sarara Brazil Registered Guest

This style of sandal with the straps, slight wedge was popular in the mid 50s I see them in my Vogue archives summer months around then. This ad is from Vogue April 15 1956. Hope that helps, these are joyce brand in this ad. There are also some with strap style tops.

Attached Files:

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Sarara that's a great example ad :USETHUMBUP: I have a lot of Joyce adverts but nothing like that.

13. bycin

bycin Guest

Sarara, thank you soooo much. That is VERY helpful!! Wow!!