1. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

If only they had the Beatles on them! Oh well...

My problem is I can't find anything on PLAIN Wing Dings, only the highly collectible Beatle ones. Any ideas? Are these from the 1960s or earlier? Are they worthless?

These are never-worn, and although they are a bit stiff, I think they'd be wearable. The cute pointy toe really sets them apart from Keds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think I remember seeing an advert for Wing Dings - they were actually made in Japan - does it say on the soles where they were made? Check - I think they were Japan...

They made all sorts of printed canvas shoes. The Beatles ones got very pricey a few years ago - not quite sure why because they have survived in good numbers, and they aren't really wearable anymore because the rubber soles have dried out considerably and will crack easily if worn. Anyway, that is what the market will bear I suppose... The plain ones look a lot like Keds, in fact I have a pair that is nearly identical that are Kedettes from the early 60s.

Here is an ad I have from 1963 of Wing Dings with other printed cancas uppers:

[​IMG]

3. wire9vintage

Thanks for all the information, Jonathan! I love that ad!

Mine actually are stamped "Made in USA" on the bottom. Would that be an indicator of age, then?

I guess the Beatles ones are still around because of some speculation. I was struck by the sheer number of brand new ones in boxes that are out there. I guess folks actually wore their plain ones... although not my pair. Maybe they just weren't very comfortable? :)

Edited to say: Oh! I see in the ad that the idea was to decorate your own shoes with the tubes of paints. I guess that would be another reason there are few plain ones still floating around!

So what age should I put on these? Are we agreed 1960s?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It was another brand that was Japanese then... I'm not sure who manufactured this brand, Keds were made by U.S. Rubber (later known as Uniroyal) . Anyway, I suspect the Beatles ones were bought as mementos and saved and the plain ones worn. They weren't expensive when they were new - maybe $3.00 or something like that? They could have been made anytime between 1958 and 1968.

5. wire9vintage

Excellent. Thanks so much for your help!

6. wire9vintage

Sorry, I couldn't resist sharing this Wing Dings ad I just found online. From 1962.
    [​IMG]

plousia likes this.