Wondering if these are Mourning Clothing?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by grace coleman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. grace coleman

grace coleman Registered Guest

Hello, my neighbor who is 95 years old gave me this photo of her husbands mother. She was wondering if they were wearing Mourning clothing in the picture.
    19679823_1607206159291230_1849988019_n.jpg

2. Vintage Sparrow

Vintage Sparrow Registered Guest

It could be, hopefully someone else will be able to answer for definite. It's a wonderful photograph. My doubt comes with the lighter trim on the collar and sleeves. Although black and mourning attire was very fashionable in the 1800s, "And we have several new fabric introduced this season to meet the demand for fashionable tribulation, including a 'splendid black' velvet called 'Luxury of Woe'". From what I've read, lighter colours on accessories would come in the form of brooches in ivory and pearls for the mourning rather than ribbons etc. Black was also common wear for working families as it was more practical.

grace coleman likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That is a lovely photograph. It is not in color, of course, so we have no way to know for sure what color the women are wearing. Could be brown, gray, dark blue, wine, dark green etc. Even if it is black, I see nothing that indicates mourning in particular. The trimmings are not suitable for the first periods of mourning, but could have been added later in cream or purple colors which were allowed for later periods of mourning. However, very young women like these 2 generally did not wear deep mourning clothing for long periods, unless the dead person was a husband.

The women appear to be either sisters or fellow students. They are wearing almost identical oufits with identical blouses, sashes, and trimmings and wearing some sort of medals on their bosoms. Could be a graduation of some sort, etc. Their skirts appear to be slightly different in texture. Or those could be watches on their chests, cannot tell.

The time period looks circa late 1890s or 1900.

4. grace coleman

Thank you!! My neighbor with be excited to read this!

5. grace coleman

Thank you!! My neighbor with be excited to read this!

6. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

I was thinking they might be something along the lines of Daughters of the American Revolution or Order of the Eastern Star medals/pins or from some other fraternal type organization.