Wooden Box purses and MORE purses - PICS added!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, May 14, 2005.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

So I have this log shaped wooden box purse that looks like a stopsign when you look at it from the tail ends. Made by "Billie" Ross of the Palm Beaches. Nice cream wood with large cutouts of birds and flowers sealed onto the outside with a light blue quilted interior. White plastic handle and metal hardware.

I'll get pics to post later but how well are these kinds of purses selling right now? There's a little bit of splitting going on between one of the seams but I should be able to fix that before selling.

Thoughts? :)

~Tiff~

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

So its a long barrel shaped octagonal wooden purse?

Wooden purses if they are interesting do have a market because there are folks who like wooden purses and box purses regardless of current trends. It's sort of perennial, especially if they are themed. OF course, a popular star shown with a particular type of purse always helps, but i have found that even if you can't count to retire on them, they always do okay.

It sounds like it is decoupaged.

I should get out my bird box purse and show it sometime soon...that just reminds me of it.

Chris

3. Oh, Tiff, I collect those! Let's see a pic.

4. DoubleSeahorse

Alright, here goes!

First off, the Box purse:

Front
    [​IMG]
    Back
    [​IMG]
    Interior
    [​IMG]
    Label
    [​IMG]

Pearlized Lucite, metal, and plastic-covered straw purse

Purse
    [​IMG]
    Detail of latch
    [​IMG]

Funky Woven/braided Plastic fiber circular handbag, floral theme

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright, ladies! Can use all the help I can get here on ID's, years, selling appeal . . . ;)

~Tiff~

5. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Well, I can't help you, but I can compliment your purses! WOW!

I also want to squeeze those fat little birds.:horny:

Janine

6. DoubleSeahorse

Thanks, Janine! I love 'em but I just don't carry purses around that much so, might as well offer 'em up for someone who does!

And you'll find it rather difficult to pinch a 2-d bird ;)

~Tiff~

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

pretty and very well presented if I may say

Hollis

8. DoubleSeahorse

Thanks, Hollis! You may say indeed! :)

~Tiff~

9. Patentleathershoes

"barn" comes to mind on that shape of box purse...i was picturing a complete octagon... I would just call it a wooden box purse with a domed lid? Those little birds are as sweet as can be! I want to say 1950s on this, but it could be early 60s.

The second one I am thinking 60s but could be wrong. That is one fab basket purse and those are hot for summer right now. It's in a lot of magazines. The plastic elements put this one over the top into standing out from the crowd.

On the third one...i am torn on that one. A tiny bit of me thinks older, but most of me thinkis its 1970s. Late 60s at the earliest when everyone was into those granny square making gadgets and craftsy sort of things. I remember all that plastic grid material that various things were made out of. I could be 100% off base though. I would say its handmade/homemade. Perhaps from a kit or some type of craft book.

Chris

10. DoubleSeahorse

Hey there Chris!

Thanks for all the info!

The box purse really is octogonal - just that the 'diagonal' edges are shorter than the normal straight edges - there are two diagonal edges matching the top diagonal edges on the underside of the purse, I don't think that quite showed up in the photos.

Yeah I think the other two purses are pretty neat. Had no idea that the floral one could be craftiness though. I'd probably go nuts trying to do something like that! Lol.

Thanks again!

~Tiff~

11. Patentleathershoes

I do see the bottom edge now. I was reading it as more of a "bevel". Maybe its the angle/shadow that made me think that.

12. raincitytreasures

raincitytreasures Registered Guest

13. DoubleSeahorse

Hey! Cute purse - those birdies are all smiles, aren't they? Lol. Thanks for sharing the results of your auction, raincity, I will probably be listing my box purse with my auctions this week.

~Tiff~