Wooden Cuff and antique set-double checking dating info.

Sarara Brazil

Registered Guest
I just found this cuff which I was thinking 40s but heck could it be 80s? Wood can be tricky it has a sort of poly coating though, blond wood and green and orange paint. I wanted to double check. The set below, I believe is late 1800s into the Edwardian period but I don't want to mistake it for that when it is really 1920s-30s.

The clasp is marked sterling and the leaves I believe are silver too but the grade I am unsure. The bracelet features a silver chain and leaves with a brass clasp and findings on the leaves. The necklace is marked sterling as stated. The leaves and the clasp are sterling but the beautiful chain is brass with some sterling matte finish/ findings holding the leaves are brass.
Leaves can polish to be bright sterling looking silver/ I partially polished one near the clasp in the pic. I left them aged but polishing is possible. I guess that is it....

Attachments

• DSCN7330.jpg
    DSCN7330.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN7329.jpg
    DSCN7329.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN2650.JPG
    DSCN2650.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCN2648.jpg
    DSCN2648.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN2651.jpg
    DSCN2651.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN2654.jpg
    DSCN2654.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 213
Nice finds Sarara. I used to encounter of lot of the painted bangles and they still turn up. They used to come in from Peru and Mexico, but not sure where they are bringing them in from now. I'd say no earlier than 80's, but likely 90's or later.

The pretty fringed demi looks 30's to me. The stamped leaves often will have a silver wash, and so will polish up like silver, but cannot be marked as such. Check closely and note if you see any wear and/or discoloration. The wear on the bracelet spring ring is often indicative of it, however, you may want to test (or have tested) the leaves in any case. Sometimes going through these steps become part of the learning experience and so it's always fun to build up one's eye.

Thanks, the cuff I just couldn't get a good sense of as it looks aged but... I originally had the necklace set listed as 30s but was concerned I was selling a Victorian set instead. As for the sterling aspect of the stamped leaves-I work with it so much collecting Native American and making jewelry I am kind of used to it but the older washes you definitely have to study- but with this I will double check:) It is a pretty set in person either way but definitely worth the extra work! As you said the brass of the other features make this silver wash possible. I think these are the only other questions I have had recently I tried to pull them all out.

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with Laura on 30s for the set--it's a wonderful example of the dangly, bib style necklaces from that period. some metal, some celluloid or bakelite. I have a (gilt brass) set in which the stamped dangles are bells, and like yours, the chain is chunky and interesting.

One clue to metal content would be the weight. My "bells" set is very lightweight! (And you should certainly go ahead and test, but my hunch is this isn't sterling).

(Also, another clue to the later date is the clasp on the necklace; check out the reference page on jewelry findings at Jane Clarke's Morning Glory Collects site for some great pictures).

I agree that the set is '30's, also. I have several dangly necklaces like that - mostly celluloid. I don't know enough about the wooden cuff to comment.

Linn

Thanks all, that helps so far. It is oddly heavy but again there are other metals that are heavy. I want to say stamped brass gilded due to the other brass showing on the findings, but maybe I'll double check just to be safe:) I just found another amazing 30s -melon cut French glass necklace ah...maybe I'm on a 1930s roll. The same beads are on a 20s necklace on the cover of my old 90s Costume Jewelry guide by Harrice Simons Miller.

Back