1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you sell a full-length Fox fur coat that you own and haven't worn since like 2009?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by KEMN54, Dec 3, 2023.

1. KEMN54

KEMN54 Registered Guest

Okay, my most prized coat ever is my full-length Golden Island fox fur coat that my husband bought for me in 1985. Living in Minneapolis, Minnesota in the 1980s the most prized possession anyone could own was a full-length fur coat and for me, it was a full-length fox fur coat. Back in the 1980s, I remember seeing all the beautiful women wearing full-length fox fur coats and wishing that I had owned one as well. The worst thing was everyone around me was getting fur coats before me.

Back in 1983, my mom got a full-length silver Fox fur coat and then in 1984, my sister got a full-length shadow Fox fur coat for her birthday. Whenever we went out together I was the only one of the three that didn't have a full-length fox fur coat.

The worst was when my mom and my sister all went to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and out of the three of them, I was the only woman without a fur coat. I remember standing in line in a sea of full-length foxes, minks, sables, and lynxes and I remember hating being stuck in my cloth coat in a crowd of women in beautiful furs. Eventually and with the help of my husband I was able to buy a beautiful full-length Golden Island fox fur coat.

I will never forget the joy I had wearing it in public and then seeing the looks on my mom's and my sister's faces when they saw my full-length Golden Island fox fur coat. The only issue is that the last time I wore it was like in 2009 since it is not politically correct to wear fur coats anymore and I would give anything to be able to wear it in public. I still have it in my closet and I know that I probably should sell it I just haven't been able to. I am curious as to what you would do in this situation and if I should sell it or not.

2. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

Well they certainly sell for a great price. Someone must be wearing them.

3. KEMN54

KEMN54 Registered Guest

Ya I know I could make money off of it but it brings back so many great memories. I can’t begin to say how much I loved throwing out my cloth coat and replacing it with my Golden Island Fox.

wyogems likes this.
  4. Victoria Johnson

Victoria Johnson Registered Guest

I am looking for a vintage full length golden isle fox coat so if you decide to sell I'd love to see pictures of it and negotiate a price!

5. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member Staff Member

@peaceful vintage - Caryn has an excellent take on vintage fur and I am sure can share some useful information with you!

6. moxysquib

moxysquib Registered Guest

Sentimentality aside (and that is a huge piece for you to consider!), there is a popular trend right now called “Mob Wife Aesthetic”. No joke. I have been able to sell several fur items recently, so there is a market. And I’ve sold them in past years, too, so @wyogems is right that someone is wearing them. But I’m with you - I like holding onto precious memories, even if they can fetch a nice price tag!