WWII Lee Jeans

Sabrina Devos

Registered Guest
I am trying to figure out date of a pair of Lee jeans that were cut off into shorts. Based on my research it appears they are Lees and were worn by military during World War II. Can anyone tell me for sure?

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0481.jpeg
    IMG_0481.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 132
I’m not sure what you are basing that information off of, but from what I see in these pictures, they look just like the denim shorts of the mid-80s through mid-90s. I am not seeing anything that would make me suspect earlier. Also, I can’t tell if you are showing that they were cut off, as opposed to starting as shorts. I think quite a bit more information and pictures are needed to make any determination! Perhaps start with the denim and see if you can determine more about the actual fiber and fabric, and any possible treatment on that.

My impression is newer, or at least no older than 1980s/90. That waist button looks newer... and the bit of decorative stitching at the top curve of the front pockets.
I remember the long pockets of that time, too. I'd even shorten the pockets sometimes because the pocket fabric would peak out from under the hemline of my short-shorts.
Wondering why you believe they are Lee? You show no tags or labels.

The waist button on these contemporary Brave Star Selvage jeans is very similar.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out date of a pair of Lee jeans that were cut off into shorts. Based on my research it appears they are Lees and were worn by military during World War II. Can anyone tell me for sure?

I believe these are wwii era civilian Lee jeans. Austerity measures enacted by the war production office limited decorative elements on civilian clothing in this era (e.g. Levi’s removed buckle backs, leather patches, and stitched rear pocket arctuates from their 501 jeans). This pair also features the laurel leaf and donut buttons that American workwear brands were required to use in this era (42-46). Were you able to determine the model?

I believe these are wwii era civilian Lee jeans. Austerity measures enacted by the war production office limited decorative elements on civilian clothing in this era (e.g. Levi’s removed buckle backs, leather patches, and stitched rear pocket arctuates from their 501 jeans). This pair also features the laurel leaf and donut buttons that American workwear brands were required to use in this era (42-46). Were you able to determine the model?
No I have not been able to.

Back