"YSL Pour Homme"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by HLRVintage, Aug 5, 2023.

1. HLRVintage

HLRVintage Registered Guest

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the scene, so please forgive me if I am asking a completely amateur question.

Whilst looking at YSL clothing, especially men's blazers, I see an awful lot labelled as "pour homme", and a few labelled without. The ones with "pour homme" tend to be priced significantly lower than those without it.

May I ask if someone could be so kind as to explain why this is?

I'm wondering if this is a cheaper range of YSL that I'm hitherto yet to know about? Or whether it happens to be a case of simple coincidence.

2. Hi HLR Vintage and welcome to the forums.

'Pour homme' is French for 'for men', it's just YSL's masculine line.

Menswear is generally priced lower than womenswear for the same, or better quality and YSL licensed his brand during the '70s-90s so depending on the particular garments, the lower price is probably for lesser demand or lesser quality. The blazers that are not labelled 'pour homme' are likely womens, or perhaps bespoke.

We'd need to know more about the specific garments to provide more than general advice but I hope that helps. More on YSL in the label resource.

Nicole

3. HLRVintage

HLRVintage Registered Guest

Hi Nicole,

Thanks so much. I knew the meaning of the translation of course, it's only I've seen some men's clothes without the "pour homme" attached, so it had me wondering.

Thanks for the answer though, at least I know now there is no existence of a cheaper label within.

Kind regards,

HLR