1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960s on this little aqua satin mini dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 27, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

I feel uncertain on this one.....I'm thinking 60s but wonder if it's way later?
    Thanks in advance.
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Cute dress!

I'm no expert, but this looks 90's to me, though I can see why you thought 60's with the length. Are there any labels? I see 90's because of the slip styling, which was massive then due to the influence of Courtney Love and other ladies in the grunge movement wearing vintage lingerie/slips as dresses. Usually worn with Doc Martens or chunky mary janes. One of my favorite 90's fast fashion labels is All That Jazz, and they made a lot of dresses similar to this one.

I'm curious to see what the experts think!

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Yes, sorry no labels....the fabric really had an older feel/look to me but the lining has a modern look so your probably dead on!

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I really would need to see details better... seams, zipper, etc. It looks 90s, to me, without those details. Sorry!

5. To me, it looks like a '60s evening gown that has been altered: the skirt taken up, more shape added and a keyhole inserted into the bodice.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Nicole might be correct in that it does look as if possibly altered. The skirt hem appears taken up. Even for the late 1960s, that is really really short. The zipper is quite long, which also makes me think this dress was originally longer in length.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks 90s to me too - the dress isn't structured enough for the 60s. That soft, silky, and in that colour blue looks very late 90s millennial. Designers were copying the 60s, so its not easy to differentiate between the two.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

43226bf23d1d032dd1f1e1c414ebe395.jpg
    These shots from 1998 aren't the same style, but the fabric and colour are similar

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  9. I can see why it looks '90s, and that could be when it was altered but here's why I think it's '60s:
    • small and high armscyes
    • long non-invisible zipper
    • hand stitched hem.
    Of course it would be good to know more about the fabric and construction.

10. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

not sure if these will help....The lining could be new?

Attached Files:

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok, the zipper is a modern nylon zipper. Looks like the dress and lining were topstitched together - not very well made. To me it looks like it's modern - 90s.