1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 year collection what to do?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by reverendbob, Feb 27, 2016.

1. reverendbob

reverendbob Registered Guest

My mum was a very accomplish dressmaker, quilter, knitter you name it. She passed away 6 years ago and I'm helping my dad to get ready to sell his house. But what to do with her stuff? Hundreds of pattern from vogue, butterich and simplicity. Mainly womens and childrens. Picture a small portoin. FB_IMG_1456628990895.jpg Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

You might want to try and sell them in lots on Ebay - I see that being offered there a lot, and it's probably the easiest way for you. There are a lot of home sewers out there who would be interested, or vintage pattern dealers like me (I have just bought a lot of new stock myself though, so I can't keep buying at the moment - need to make some $$$ first). So it would be a shame to just throw them away. You can also check what prices such lots sold for on Ebay to get an idea. Even if you sell in larger lots, it's important that you take some good pictures to give your buyers an idea what they're getting into. And I would probably put them into lots like children's wear, crafts, women's clothes, men's - and if you really have a lot like maybe women's you could also think about putting them by decade, whatever suits you. Doing it like this will give you a better chance of selling I think, as sellers will be better able to choose what they are basically interested in. What's important though: as it seems there are so many, you will probably not have the time/resources to check if all patterns are complete, used etc. That's ok with such big lots in my view - as a buyer in this case you just take the risk of having a few not complete ones, and then maybe a few that are unused in the mix as well. However, you need to state this clearly in your listing, for example that the patterns have been used or most of them have been used and that they have not been checked if they're all complete.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

You might want to consider donating them to a school that offers sewing classes. Often you can take a tax deduction for this. Unless the patterns are a rare style, or Haute Couture take-offs, or are truly old(1950s and earlier), they do not have great value individually.

Or as Melanie suggested, sell them in large lots on Ebay or Etsy.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.

StitchesandSnags and cmpollack like this.
  4. Nicole Patricia

Nicole Patricia Registered Guest

If you do not want to sell these online, I suggest going to a local consignment or thrift store that sells vintage. There any so many in my area and I know that someone would truly treasure and appreciate these patterns. You could also search for stores/shop owners that create their own pieces with fabric. (I go to a lot of thrift stores and antique fairs and have seen patterns like these all over Etsy as well). You could also use the website rubylane.com, which is worth checking out either way...It is one of the best antique and curator websites I have seen.