1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little jewelry help, please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elsewhere, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

First -- great pin.
    There was almost nothing from this estate that was newer than 80's -- but I have NO idea about this pin. I've never seen a clasp like this - you pull the pin OUT (as shown) and then the pin part can come out from under the clasp. Kind of a protected C-clasp.
    the only mark is very small - 3 letters or numbers? - near the center on the back. I can't make it out.
    Seems very well made.
    New? Old? Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clasp locked:
    [​IMG]

Clasp unlocked - pin pulled out:
    [​IMG]

Unlocked with stickpin unlatched from clasp:
    [​IMG]

LOL I really know so very little about jewelry!!

And I picked up these two mesh... thingies awhile back.
    I think the silver one (the big, square one) is sterling. They both have the same sort of snap in the back - both snaps read "RAU Fastener Co." and have a hard plastic protector between the snap & the mesh.

WHAT are they? How old are they? Do people want them? Should I just pack them back away or put them out on the sales floor -- and if so, what should I ask for them?
    Also, both have some undone links - it's too small for my poor eyesight to repair. Is it worth paying someone to do it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated!

2. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Oh coooool!! I bet those mesh things had dresses attached to them, 20s? They'd both look fabulous with strapless gowns.

I've seen that clasp before but I can't remember a thing about it. I get a 30s vibe but I'm not sure that means much! Its stunning.

Ang

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The clasp on the pin is called a "trombone clasp" - usually French (or European). The mark could be a European mark. The style of the pin looks '50's or '60's to me. Trombone clasps are still being used. The mesh collar reminds me of Whiting & Davis collars but the links look different than their "armor mesh". I'll see what I can find out about them and post again if I discover something.

I would put them out - they are really interesting.

Linn

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I have a similar clasp on a 1960's necklace; I'm sure Linn is right on that dating (very cute pin, BTW--love the garnet-colored stones). Those mesh collars or whatever they are are fab--don't know anything about them, but I bet the second one is worth some bucks!

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

those collars are wonderful, Kristine. no help, just drooling.

6. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Thanks for the help, gals :)

Anyone want to hazard a guess on a fair retail price for those mesh collars?

And the pin -- would $45 be too low? Too high?

7. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

Cool - those collars look like chain maille! The first one looks like a typical 4-in-1 weave, the second is harder to describe. Nifty!

8. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Kristine, I found this on the trademarks website

Word Mark RAU KLIKIT
    Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 026. US 040. G & S: SNAP FASTENERS. FIRST USE: 19400124. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19400124
    Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
    Design Search Code 26.03.08 - Letters, numerals or punctuation forming the perimeter of an oval or bordering the perimeter of an oval; Ovals having letters or numerals as a border; Ovals having punctuation as a border
    Serial Number 71429825
    Filing Date March 21, 1940
    Current Filing Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Registration Number 0381615
    Registration Date October 1, 1940
    Owner (REGISTRANT) RAU FASTENER COMPANY CORPORATION RHODE ISLAND 102 WESTFIELD STREET PROVIDENCE RHODE ISLAND
    (LAST LISTED OWNER) U.S. Industries, Inc. UNKNOWN New York NEW YORK

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
    Disclaimer Applicant disclaims the right to the exclusive use of the name "Rau" except in the relation and association shown on the drawing.
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Affidavit Text SECT 12C. SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
    Renewal 2ND RENEWAL 19801001
    Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
    Cancellation Date October 14, 2001

I dont know exactly how to interpret the info since this seems to apply to the "Rau klickit" but...same company

Anyway, love the collars!

9. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

10. Linn

Still nothing on the mesh collars. There are several W&D mesh collars for sale online but none like yours.

I do not think they were originally attached to dresses - I think they were sold as "jewelry". And thanks to some great sleuthing we know they are not earlier than 1939, but since utility patents are good for a long time, the collars could have been made more recently than the '40's. I think the silver colored one is probably white metal, not sterling.

I love a good jewelry mystery, and I'll keep trying to find some information.

Linn

11. Linn

I think they are Whiting & Davis. They do not make jewelry anymore (stopped in 1983) but still make the same chain link that is in your collars.

http://www.whitinganddavis.com/

(Click on products)

Linn